Electric windows

Started by drewster71, January 20, 2010, 08:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewster71

Evening all,
Ok a couple questions my 83 gtv has the electric windows and a hole for a manual winder if elecs stop ?? anyone know of where to get replacement or any spare ones out there ???

Also if i had an electric motor of say a nissan skyline early model in theory could it be wired to replace existing ? current windows go up real slow ...

Thankyou all in hope
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

Joey

I have a couple of motors and mechagnisms from a Alfetta sedan from the time... Somebody might be able to tell you if these are a suitable replacement... If they are I may be able to offer them for sale if they could be of any use  8) 8)
Joey.

MD

Drewster71

If you cannot locate an original electric window replacement, I think there are generic electric window winders available that could be adapted. I find the best guys to do this are panel beaters and preferable a seasoned operator who knows his stuff. When it's done, only you will know the difference.

I would roll up to a good panel shop with the trim and the damp proof lining off , a print out from the manual of how the orignal set up works and take it from there.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

The motors will be fine, just put some relays in and they'll be as fast as any other window out there.  To test this, hook a 12v battery up straight to the motor to see how quick they are (or not).  Far easier than screwing around with another motor.

drewster71

Hi Sheldon,
Do u mean us my existing motor that is in door already and put in new relays ?? I have recently purchased the dvd cd manual for my baby, and am slowly finding my way around mechanically etc, Am trying to do as much as I can to save on labor but Am a Chef hehe so electrics and mechanics arent my first knowledgeable love  ...

Thankyou for all your help I appreciate all comments, and yes have organised new water pump and belts second hand asking for too much trouble

Drew :)
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: drewster71 on January 23, 2010, 12:54:27 PM

Do u mean us my existing motor that is in door already and put in new relays ??

Yes. 

As I said, try and hook up a battery straight to the motors just to check they're okay, but you'll probably find they go up and down very quickly.  If not, I have heard of people taking them apart and replacing the grease, apparently it gets very hard over time.