Water Temp - help Needed

Started by Sam, January 11, 2010, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi Everyone,

I took my old Alfetta out for a drive today (yep in 43 deg heat!) and I noticed that the temp gauge rarely went over 80 deg.
In fact it usually sat around 40 and sometimes even dropped to zero.

I also noticed when I braked or went down a hill, the needle would go back up somewhere between 60 and 80 , then back to 40 when the road levelled out.

I checked the radiator and there is plenty of coolant and although it was hot, it wasn't boiling.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm guessing the sender is playing up, but I wonder if it could be anything else, like the thermostat?

Also, I assume the fan switch is not linked to the sender? otherwise if the sender is stuffed then the fans will never come on.

Thanks in advance folks

Sam

Martyn

probably temp  sender is playing up (located near thermostat housing) If you were suffering high temps in cylinder head there is a high temp sender near #4 spark plug (only on Alfettas not 105 series engines) this actuates a red light above temp gauge on dash.
The radiator thermo fan is actuated by a temp sensor low down on the driver side of radiator.
Sometimes taking the sender out and getting rid of the calcium and other deposits allows them to function correctly. This may mean your cooling system may need a good flush out  too if this is the case.
Air pockets in the cooling system can make the gauge fluctuate as you described but should not be relied upon as the definitive answer!
Regards ???
Martyn Piercey
105 GTV (building for Nc)
Alfetta GT
76 Spider(in bits)
GTV 2000
1300 GT Junior
147 Selespeed(sold)
Sc Alfetta GTV (sold)

bonkfrog

Gees Choderboy
I'm old (maybe that's why I'm not closing properly), not buggered yet though. Can I fit a new thermostat?

Bonkfrog
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

Mat Francis

Yep. 2 bolts, a bit of gasket making and about half an hour of your time.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

kartone

Where can I source a thermostat for an '80 GTV ?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

bonkfrog

Kartone
Thermostats should be available at any recognised Alfa service centre. I get a lot of my spares from Turin Imports - not too expensive & overnight delivery. info@turinimports.com.au

Cheers
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

kartone

Many thanks "peacefrog" (I'm a Doors fan)
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV