The Alfadiag software for checking 156 systems, including selespeed

Started by bobalfa, November 12, 2009, 02:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobalfa

Having searched the forum I feel that the question of "Home Mechs" using this software to check the health of their 156s does not seem to have arisen in Vic/Oz??   The web site for the software is  www.alfadiag.net   .  I first heard of it on the UK www.alfaowner.com forum. Seems like a brilliant system for sorting out the clutch rod adjustment on the selespeed, checking for coil failures, correcting fault/error messages and cancelling the warning re maintenance has not been done/overdue when many of us would have done it ourselves.  The Uk price is around 55 quid plus one needs a special cable to link the  car system to a laptop.  I am working on cost/source of the cable.

Your comments and any personal experience /knowledge of Alfadiag much appreciated.

Bobalfa

Evan Bottcher

Hi Bobalfa,

I've got the Alfadiag software.  I bought a USB -> OBD-II cable on ebay.  It works quite well, although I do find the software disconnects intermittently.

Here's an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/409-1-KKL-VAG-COM-USB-OBD2-OBD-II-Diagnostic-Cable_W0QQitemZ320446761658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item4a9c1d8aba#ht_2659wt_1167

I've heard that some work, and some don't - possibly I was lucky.  It worked quite well on my 2000 156 Selespeed, and was used on a few other cars.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

ProvaRacing

I assume Evan you have done the pin bridging in the plug for various checks? Also I heard that the latest version 3.3.10 may conflict with type of system software.

PS bobi you had so much trouble following my simple directions on locating the pollen filter it's best you stay away from this much more complicated subject  ;D

bobalfa

Ivan

Many thanks for your quick response.  The e-bay item has closed but I am sure I will be able to get a cable from them when needed.   I now need to really study all the comments on the UK site to see what problems exist with the latest version of Alfadiag.  What systems checks have you found useful, adjusting the clutch rod on your selespeed for example?

regards

Bob McCulloch

shiny_car

Quote from: ProvaRacing on November 12, 2009, 04:43:43 PM
I assume Evan you have done the pin bridging in the plug for various checks? Also I heard that the latest version 3.3.10 may conflict with type of system software.

i too have AlfaDiag, using a lead off ebay. i only bought the software licence in Oct, so it should be 3.3.0.10 and it's fine on my laptop using Vista Home Premium (soon to be Windows 7, and hopefully without issues).

i believe modifying the cable is only required for 'airbag' and 'ABS' diagnostics, neither of which have been relevant to me, to date, so my cable is not modded.

hope this helps.
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

bobalfa

Evan, sorry for getting your name wrong.  Shiny_car thanks for your advice.  Did yopu get your Alfadiag from the company?  If so any problems ordering it also could you please advise the full number/name for the linking  cable.  Finally does  the diag come with a full set of instructions.

I have applied to join the 10 Alfesta  at Phillip Island next March, hope I can touch base with some of you guys and compare notes, code for me picking your brains!!

Regards

Bob McCulloch

bobalfa

Dear Prova,  :D Re your comments about my not being able to understand your instructions re the Pollen Filters, as you may have seen we got there in the end!! Which in the end is what this is all about.  Now, once I have got my diag and the non e-bay linking cable I trust that I will be able seek your help as required!!!!?  Again thanks to all for your help.  Ava gud 2010.

ForzaSab

Hey guys is this simple to use and what benefits will i gain from purchasing it?

shiny_car

Quote from: bobalfa on November 19, 2009, 09:31:15 AMShiny_car thanks for your advice.  Did yopu get your Alfadiag from the company?  If so any problems ordering it also could you please advise the full number/name for the linking  cable.  Finally does  the diag come with a full set of instructions.

sorry for not replying earlier - i didn't follow this thread along.  ::)

yes, i bought the software from that website, and there were no issues.

i also bought my cable off ebay. if you enter 'usb obdii' into search, you'll find various options.

the info with diag is limited, but not too bad if you read through all the info.

personally, the 'use and benefits' are very limited for me. i primarily bought and use it to clear an error code in my GT that recurs, because a couple lambda sensors are operating outside their usual range due to exhaust mods.

i don't have a Selespeed car, so i don't know the value of diag for this.

most of what diag does seems to be 'read only', by providing details of any error codes. if you have a Selespeed, or want to do data logging, it looks like it can do that too, but not for me. i would say for the vast majority of people, it doesn't serve much purpose.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Evan Bottcher

If you have a sele, you can use it to run the automatic calibration process supported by the ECU.  It'll also give you the reading needed to adjust the clutch pushrod, and bleed the system.  I believe you definitely need this if you want to change the actuator.  The calibration process can make a big difference to how the sele changes.  No idea why, but when I've run it in the past it definitely changes more quickly and smoothly.

It also provides some fascinating data - e.g. number of selections for each gear (since the car was built).  Good for the nerds.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Teeman

Hi All,

Before I go out and purchase a OBD2 conector can anyone please tell me if a 1998 spider is OBD2 complient? I looked under the bonnet and can not find anything stating that it is.

Thanks.

bobalfa

Hi all

I have not lost interest etc, just been busy with Christmas etc and looking after grandkids.  Now have the linking connecter and after other tasks hope to download the demo to see how I go. 
Cheers
Bobalfa

bobalfa

Hi Guys

I am still alive!  Have tried thr demo diag which was ok but not very helpful, in the main it helped me sort out the action needed to get the car ECU to talk to my laptop.  Before I buy I plan to look at the FiatECUScan which is free to download!!  It has a Alfa section.  Finally a) lookat Alfadiag on Youtube, v interesting and b) hope to meet some of you at Alfesta next week.

Regards Bob McCulloch

bobalfa

Hi  Having set this hare running I must apologise for going off air.  Many reasons but mainly Alfesta at Phillip Island.  A well organised and enjoyable event which I have commented on under the General Discussion section.  At some point and elswhere I mentioned that I had traded down from my GTV6 to my now 03 selepeed 156.  The only justification for that comment NOW is that I paid much less for the 156 than the sale price for the GTV6.  The 156 is a very well built car with many more comfort/safety features more suited to my NBE status. It has a better performance and handling than a srandard GTV6, and is miles ahead on fuel consumption.  On the round trip from north of Newcastle NSW to Phillip Is i was amazed at the torque of the JTS, particulalrly in cruise control up fairly steep hills.  The computer suggested that the average consumption was 6.9 to 7.1 l/110km, this was near enough to the figure between filling up.  At the end of the trip I needed about3/4 litre of engine oil.  Also about 150mils of selespped oil!

Back to the main topic, I will now try and focus on the subject matter but that trip, with the lack of dramas, has taken some of the edge of my need for answers so tolerate me or take up the challinge. 

Did any of you go to Alfesta?!!!

Bob McCulloch