Mystery tank

Started by Bob Morey, October 06, 2009, 06:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Morey

I have a '76 Alfetta GT which has a tank under the trim on the rear package shelf - see attached photo.  What is this tank for?

Thanks
Bob

a sharp

Bob,
This is part of the fuel tank breather system, and from part of the emitions control required by ADR's at the time.

alfagtv152

Hi Bob,
As Anthony said it is part of the petrol tank vapour recovery system,there is a hose from the filler neck to the tank and then a little hose with one way valve attatched in a T that runs all the way through the car to that little pipe on top of the inlet manifold which connects to the cam cover where the air cleaner is supposed to draw it off into the carbs.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Bob Morey

Thanks guys, the hose from the tank has been cut & sealed at what must be the one way valve.  Maybe this is why I sometimes smell fuel in the car.
It seems a complicated system.

alfagtv152

Hi Bob,
Some people just take the hose from the filler neck and run in a loop above the filler neck then back out the wheel arch area bottom with the filler overflow drain hose.Should not have any vapours in the car then.
Cheers
Andrew

Bob Morey

I might re-route the plumbing that way Andrew.  The set up now is certainly not doing anything.

Bob

kenh

I'd also like to thank you guys for the information. I have started pulling down my '76 GT and although I haven't pulled the back seat and parcel shelf off yet, I did notice the plastic pipe running down the passenger side and wondered what it was for.

cheers,

Ken

Paul Newby

I still have my breather tank connected to the fuel tank on my Group S race car. Obviously I've disconnected the pipe to the inlet manifold.

I suspect that scurineers would take a dim view of a supplementary overflow hose... I don't get any vapours inside the car.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

alfagtv152

Hi Paul,
Cams requirements under Schedule A say each fuel tank will be vented externally to the body work.The method I mentioned is the easiest way to do this.If you have disconnected it under the bonnet then you dont have any vapour recovery happening any way and your tank is vented at the engine bay if not in the car where ever the hose finnishes.Scrutineers are looking for compliance with Cams requirements not so much emissions control.I know which one I choose.
Cheers
Andrew

Paul Newby

Andrew,
I have taken out the pipe that runs from the breather tank to the engine bay. But it is still connected to the petrol tank. I've never had any vapuor in side the car. Never had a scrutineering issue either. So it stays put...
Paul
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

alfagtv152

Hi Paul,
If the hose only goes from the filler neck to the vapour tank then it is not vented external to the body,it is in fact vented into the car.If your happy with that,at least you know.
Cheers
Andrew