Online Racing - "GTR2", "GT Legends" and soon "Race"

Started by Scott Farquharson, November 02, 2006, 11:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

If you like driving and have a PC capable of playing 3d games (and a broadband connection) then you have to get a copy of GTR2.  This is a PC based simulation, based on the FIA GT series, that allows you to race against people from all over the world, online driving some of the best GT cars like the 575 Ferrari's, Maserati etc.

And this is no arcade special - it is a simulation, which means you have to drive them just like you were actually on the track.  ie. you have to use the brakes and make the most of the available grip.  There is a novice mode and there are novice races as well which makes it easy to get into right thru to full simulation with full damage model (things break and can fall off the car), you can even do the complete LeMans 24hr!!

The cars drive brilliantly and you "feel" every bump and having driven a GT3 spec 550 it is uncanny how similar it is.  Just the way the car reacts simulating the feeling on slicks is amazing.

You can use keyboard or Xbox type controller but the way to go is a Logitech Momo steering wheel/pedals ($150 from most PC shops or online) which has force feedback and I swear the feedback thru the wheel is soooo real it it amazing. 

The graphics are also amazing - the cars and their interiors look fantastic, as is the sound -  the cars sound great, engines, gearboxes...the cars shaking under brakes. 

Another neat thing is that it comes with full Motec data logging - yes you read correctly - laps are logged and you can open up the full Motec interpreter and analyse your performance - then you can go to car setup and make adjustments to EVERYTHING from spring rates to bump/rebound, wing, tyre pressures, camber......everything.

Trent and I raced 575's at Valencia last night in a 65 lap novice race - we were both doing great until we ran out of fuel - we forgot to pit and refuel!! 

The web site is: http://gtr-game.10tacle.com/index.php?id=246&L=1

And if you like Touring Cars - then in a few months the same people are releasing "RACE" which is basically the same game but for the WTCC and includes the all conquering 156's!!!  I can't wait to smack BMW's.

The web site is: www.race-game.org

And if that is not enough there is "GT Legends"  same as GTR2 but with the historic GT, Sports and Touring cars including; Alfa 105 GTA, GT40, Lotus Cortina, Mini, Capri, E-Type, Mustang, Lotus etc from the 60's and 70's.  In this you can run career mode were you start with the slower cars and win races to allow you to buy better cars - it is sensational.

The web site is: www.gt-legends.com

This sound like an ad but they are really that good!!

If you are interested in maybe some organised racing in GTR2 or GT-Legends - let me know and we can look into organising some regular races.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Alfpa Repairs

Yeah very cool game, to be honest I had never heard about the game until Scott told me and im glad he did because its unbelievably realistic.  You can hear the diff whine while you accelerate, the car shutters under heavy braking and while understeering, it even moves around over bumps and its got Ferrari' aswell.

Maybe like Scott said we can organise through this forum a group of people and we can set up some regular races and maybe even a championship over the internet.  ;)

Let us know if you have it or are getting it.
Monza Motors, (03) 9720 4442
Alfpa Repairs, (03) 9729 9946
4 Malvern Street Bayswater, VIC, 3153

Evan Bottcher

I've been itching to buy a logitech momo for about 6 months now - I've played the demo's for GT Legends and now 'Race' and they look and sound amazing but without a steering wheel it's completely useless.  Now that I know you chaps are online and we could have a little AROCA online racing I'll be saving my spare pennies...

If only I didn't spend so much on my REAL car...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

YES!  YES!

The Logitech Momo Wheel is the one - short of the HyperStimulator it is the way to go.  This is the later model with the rubber wheel.  There was an earlier model a few years ago which had leather etc but these are now out of production.  The average price is $149 but I have seen them as low as $130.  This is great value.  Check out these vendors:

http://atomicmpc.shopferret.com.au/buy/game_controllers~p-179648.html

Logitech Web Site
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=6030

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

a sharp

Remember guys it's only a game and not realalistic untill they make one with a credit card swipe and eveytime you have a shunt it automaticely bills you card 100K.

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Alfpa Repairs

Good thing is we can get grass and it doesnt matter whether we spin off because you just press reset and its all good.

I cant wait until more people get it so we can set up a Championship.
Monza Motors, (03) 9720 4442
Alfpa Repairs, (03) 9729 9946
4 Malvern Street Bayswater, VIC, 3153

Evan Bottcher

My MOMO wheel is on it's way, and a copy of GT Legends will be soon...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Pete Y

GTR2 is a graphical improvement over GTR, but unfortunately the physics has gone backwards to a slightly more arcade style which is easier to pick up and play (a subject well document on race sim forums) - a result of the developers desires to appeal more to the mainstream.

GTL however is fantastic, although Simbin's poor netcode have meant that online servers have always been near empty which is disappointing for a game that offers such close racing. GTL is my favourite race sim ever, and is pretty bang on accurate.

All three games are well supported by the modding community (including myself on occasions), to the point where I have over 200 cars and 50 tracks on both GTL and GTR. The RACE demo is now also available for download and looks good but once again, the general consensus is that the physics have been dulled down a tad, and that the sim "hand-holds" too much. I deleted it after a few days, although the lack of the 156 in the demo may have contributed to that.

For some great add-ons for these games I would recommend the following sites. Beware though, you can only use cars original to the game when using online servers.

Race Sim Central Forums - www.racesimcentral.com
No-grip Downloads and Forum - www.no-grip.net
Blackhole Motorsports - www.bhmotorsports.com
TeamSSR - www.teamssr.tk
GTR4u - www.gtr4u.de (In german, but if you know where to look this site has a lot of good stuff not found elsewhere)

Here are some screens of cars I've skinned for GTL.

Brian Foley's Chesterfield Alfa, Andy Clempson's Aussie Grp N Mustang, the Mini I used to own.
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT

Pete Y

BTW, I have a MOMO too, so let me know when it's online GTL time, that'd be great fun.
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT

Pete Y

This is the extent of what can be done with GTR especially - LM70 mod, with 917K, 917 Lontail, Ferrari 512, Matra Ms650 and the like.

This is the 33/3 obviously with added aged look :)

Pete Y

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on November 02, 2006, 11:34:58 AMyou can even do the complete LeMans 24hr!!

Errr, actually it's the Proximus 24hr of Spa, not Lemans. The Lemans 24hr is not an official FIA-GT event, it's organised and run independently by the ACO (Automobile Club l'Ouest) who own the La Sarthe circuit. Hence why competitors come from both european FIA GT championships and the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). FIA-GT has no LMP class (Audi R8, Porsche Spyder RS etc) but the ACO and ALMS allow LMP.

Just thought I'd clear that up :)

Scott Farquharson

Hi Peter,

That is all fantastic!  We have three Hyperstims as well and used to play GP Legends a fair bit, but haven't really been doing much for a while now and have therefore lost track of the sim world.  GTR, GTR2 and GTL have been revalations and have inspired us to get back into it.  The PC's for the Hyper's are not spec'ed up enough to play GTR or GTL so I have a bit to do before we can use these with these games.  Disapointing that RACE doesn't live up to expectations. 

In any case we have a few that are interested in some online action so it won't be long before we can set something up.  You advice and participation would be most welcome as we progress.

Thanks
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)