engine build

Started by BradGTV, May 30, 2009, 12:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

just wondering what others have done to there 2 ltr engines??

thinking of hotting it up a bit ;)

what have others done that gets a good result without a full rebuild?

cheers, Brad
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Mat Francis

10548 cams and some good extractors on an otherwise standard engine will give you more than enough power to scare yourself s***less.

If it doesn't feel quick, it just means you're not driving it properly.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

kartone

Was thinking along the same lines: nothing too extreme (and costly), just a modest improvement in performance without jeopardizing reliability.
Matt, where can we source the extractors and cams in question and how much ?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Mat Francis

Best extractors i have seen are made by Vin Sharp. PACE engineering. sponsors page. no idea on price.

any parts supplier on the sponsors list should have some 10548s. again, no idea on price. appear on ebay pretty often though, about $200 seems to be pretty common if i remember right.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

enzo1891

if you want more power use 10548 cams, a good set of extrators will do the trick try vin sharp, next keep your orignal air box dont use air pods. and if you want to really go to the extreme take you head off go to a really good engine shop try duggans engeering in reservoir and get to match port and polish the inlet and out let ports stainless oversized valves with triple cut seats and reconfigure those 10548 cams to give you that extra duration of the cam to get that extra bit of air and fuel mixture. and convert your points dizzy with a electronic unit. and get your carbys checked out and possible get them rejetted to get more fuel flowing remember more fuel the bigger the bang with the bottom end given that the engine has been maintained you shouldnt have and problems dont forget the compression ratio on these engines is 10:1. if you got any more quires feel free to ask me

Mile Jurcic

Hi Factory Italian,

you mentioned "next keep your orignal air box dont use air pods", can you expalin why ?

I'm asking as i was just about to change to pods.

Regards
Mile

enzo1891

an orignal air box sucks air from out side of the engine bay where as air pods suck it from inside the engine where it is hot air best way to think about look at commodores and falcons they use what is known as cold air intake to increase power but alfa has the same idea look where your snorkel points towords. do i have to say much more.

Storm_X

i have trumpets bent towards the top of the bonnet then i have a nissan patrol scoop on my bonnet rite over the trumpets. gets plenny of air.

oh and with the cams and extractors will it get more then 100rwkw ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Mat Francis

well, standard i would guess would be about 60rwkw, IF it is a strong engine, this might get you, oh maybe an extra 5kw, if it's done right, which is, lets see, ohh about 65rwkw. so no.

that sort of power is probably going to cost upwards of 5k. on the engine alone. let alone the brakes and suspension to make it safe.

if you're expecting that sort of power for the sort of money i was talking about, go and buy something japanese
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Luke

Don't forget about torque. The outright power gain from a set of mild cams and extractors may be modest, but the improvement in low-down/mid-range punch should be much more noticeable, especially on a street-driven car.

redalfaracing

My PRC Alfetta with 2 litre engine was dyno'd as having 82 rwkw. Absolute bog standard except for 10548 cams and a set of home made extractors. no porting at all, running Dellortos and the standard airbobox and filter with the center tube opened up a bit. No fire breathing monster but a super drivable engine that pulls 175 km/h whilst weaving between the trees, sometimes it feels like 300 k's, so upgrade your brakes too!!!!  I did buy some go faster cams and valves from Vin some years ago, and started building a downdraughted head but life got in the way. It is still sitting on the work bench with my set of 30 thou over pistons ( takes it from 1962 to 1998 ) maybe finish it next year when the GTV6 is finished.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

alfagtv58

Regarding the airbox, I would imagine that the standard air box is only going to work with up to 40mm carbies, if you have 45's or 48's I dont think the standard one would have an inlet big enough for the airflow needed ......would it?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

redalfaracing

but whatever you do with the air box, you MUST suck cold air!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

scuzzyGTV

Quote from: redalfaracing on June 02, 2009, 08:44:59 AM
but whatever you do with the air box, you MUST suck cold air!

so does this mean that trumpets shouldn't be used?
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Mat Francis

wow, 82rwkw is actually quite a surprise i have to say.

I'll see if i can get the alfetta to the dyno day i think, you've got me wondering now.
Currently running the 10548's and extractors, but in an 1800 engine.

Most impressed.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie