air conditioner for 105

Started by Dan H, April 22, 2009, 05:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airconcando

Hi Dan
I had a look at my newly acquired twin spark engine and the aluminium bracketry that the compressor is mounted on.  I reckon that 75 TS Sanden 505/SD5 compressor is sitting at least 3/4" or more further out than my custom bracket.  This would result in the compressor being hard up against the body work, but I may be wrong.  The positve observation I have is that the block on the 75 has a flat surface behind the compressor and on the same line as the engine mount very similar to the old 2L block and front housing of the US Spica engine.  Hence a bracket like the one I created could be used to position the compressor as close to the engine block as possible, which is really the key to mounting the compressor in that location.
There is a curious sender unit of some sort protruding from the TS engine block between the block and compressor.  Can anyone tell me what this is?
When I find my bracket, I'll post photo of it.  Cheers
Mark

njh1964

Hi Mark,

The sender unit on the Twin Spark block (ie near the air con compressor mounting point) is the Alfa 75 minimum oil level warning lamp sender.... clearly an optional item on a 105  ;D

As mentioned in previous posts on this, I'm also dropping a Twin Saprk into a 105, and, like Dan H, I also want to fit air con. If you can provide drawings and/or photos of your bracket, that would be great. I'm currently thinking I might need a more compact compressor than the standard Alfa 75 Sanden unit... might be time to fossick around the wreckers yard again.

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

njh1964

Hi Mark,

Just reviewing some of my old posts... have you managed to find and photograph your custom air con compressor bracket?

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

dfphoto

Under dash A/C units are still readily available, Cooldrive Industries in Box Hill have a large range of them. The units themselves are not overly expensive but the fitting of the condensor, compressor and the plumbing will be. If the Alfa compressor has pad style fittings it will be very difficult to have hoses made up and after market fittings generally do not fit. If the compressor has standard "o"ring fittings it may not be so bad. It will be an expensive exercise. We do a lot of early Mustang A/C fitments at my work and anything is possible if you throw enough dollars at it.
Good luck David 

dfphoto

By the way Cooldrive is also an agent for Vintage Air, If you want prices on these things call me at work Cameron Autoelectrics on 03 97395458 and I will see what I can do but you may need to talk to cooldrive first so you know what unit you need.
Thanks David

andreajones021

I assumption from the aloft responses, this about-face hasn't been attempted by many, admitting I can absolutely empathise with their comments and add that what's said about Alfas aswell applies to any old European car. With a Twinspark engine in 105 active bang ah la 75 its tighter than a nuns awful in the engine bay i.e theres not abundant allowance in there, so maybe you would charge to backpack the array in the boot, at atomic thats what alfa did with branch adapted air con in Alfetta GTVs , admitting non air con able cars had the array in the bay.