Strange Vents in Doors?

Started by Tim Jobson, April 06, 2009, 09:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Jobson

Just finished POR15 the back of my newly bushed door hinges and the part of the door where the hinge mounts to, when I noticed these strange looking vents at the top front section of both doors.

I was wondering what purpose they had considering they are in an area that could get some rain water seeping into them and therefore into the door cavity, and as we all know, Alfas do not like water that much!

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

1750GTV

Tim,
I've often wondered about these myself.
I guess if you can't keep the water out, then maybe it's best to let it run through the door and out the bottom vents.
Then when the sun comes out again, the inside of the door dries out properly.
The door window felts do a similarly rubbish job at keeping water out.
I'd be interested to hear any other explanations,
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

dehne

hi these vent were designed to create a smoother air flow to help with oxidiation in the lower door which then makes the car lighter and faster this is a must have for any early/ pre 95 Alfa
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

1750GT

In my 1750 GTV I have these types of vents at the front top of the doors forward of the glass. I thought that they were for water shedding into the door linning and for airflow thru the doors. I doubt that they are there for lightness or make the car go faster? There are similar vents at the bottom of the doors. But I would like to hear from others on this one?

1750GT

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: 1750GT on April 11, 2009, 08:14:07 PM
I doubt that they are there for lightness or make the car go faster?

You better read dehne's post more carefully, or alternatively put on your flameproof underpants. 

PS dehne, very funny and very accurate.

Tim Jobson

I can only guess that these vents were fitted to help provide some sort of air movement inside the door to assist with drying out any water that entered the inside of the door from the window glass felts, thereby reducing water pooling and therefore rusting of the door from the inside????????

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: dehne on April 06, 2009, 10:27:19 PM
hi these vent were designed to create a smoother air flow to help with oxidiation in the lower door which then makes the car lighter and faster this is a must have for any early/ pre 95 Alfa

Alfa engineers certainly understood the concept of 'adding lightness' better than any others..... Obviously in those days racecars didn't have to be weighed at the end of the season to make sure they weighed the same as they did at the start!

1750GT

Thanks Sheldon that's really cleared it up for me, I haven't got flame proof pants, could you suggest a web site that I could go to get further info: on these products?

Thanks again Sheldon your so helpful!

1750GT