Winton - Driver training day - 28 February

Started by 1750GT, February 28, 2009, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1750GT

Hi all, my son and I attended Winton today. My son (who is a learner driver) attended the junior driver program and I joined in as his "co-driver". This is the first time we have attended the event and I must say we thouroughly enjoyed the whole day and we are back for sure for next year (and this time it's my turn to be the driver).

It was great to also catch up and meet other club members and have a chin wag about what else? Alfa's.

Thanks to Barry and all who organised the event and most importantly the volenteers and club members who ran the day, we had a ball and it was the best value drive day i have ever been on. My son is stoked and can't wait for the next event. Perhaps next year we could have a father/son (daughter) event as well where both the son and the dad get to drive together?

It would be good for Barry to get other member opinions and suggestions about the event as well.

Thanks again
1750GT

Gary Pearce

Thank you to Barry and all the club members that gave of their time and expertise on the day.
My Daughter and I had a wonderful day and learned heaps. What a great club we have.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Ads

I'll echo the above sentiments, I had a great day out participating in the driver development course.  It was great to hear opinions on not only driving technique but setup on the different model Alfas.  I'll have to work out more now though as I was stuffed at the end of the day!
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

What a great weekend.

The driver training was immensely enjoyable.
Huge thanks to all who made it possible. I would love to see more of the same.

A very special thanks to Colin Byrne. As my instructor, he was able to quickly recognise aspects of my driving style (or lack of) requiring improvement. Colin was also excellent at delivering clear, easily understood instructions on how to correct my bad habits. He also enthusiastically let me know when I got it right..
My resulting performance on the Sunday brought a huge smile to my face.

Previous best time for the short track: 1:19.4900
Sunday best: 1:17.7557.
Not bad and I know I can go faster, especially if chasing Gary.
Good stuff.

Cheers,

Marco
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Sheldon McIntosh

Nice one Marco, and I hear you looked very fast and smooth on Sunday.

Don't tell anyone but I hear smoothness is the key.  That's what my dad told me anyway.

John Toomath

I have a similar story to Marco from the excellent weekend.  Thanks to the theory sessions from Dave Crump and the several practical demonstration and instruction sessions with Rob Dale, I went from a previous best of 1:20.15 to a new best of 1:17.34  ;D.  The main change for me was to enter the corners slower so that I could then accelerate earlier through the corner.  Thanks Rob for all your advice and encouragement. It was so much fun.

My son Andrew also took part in the Racecraft on Saturday followed by the Sprint day on Sunday.  This was his first time on the track and with the training provided by Bruno Colautti, there was the predictable outcome !  He got hooked in and finished the weekend with a very impressive 1:15.23.  Not sure yet how long it takes to walk home from Winton.  I'll let you know when he gets here  :D

Between us we did 94 laps on Sunday and had about 3 hours of almost continuous track time on the Saturday.  The car ran beautifully and it was great to see a few more 75s new to the track.  Everyone of their drivers found them great fun to peddle, in whatever state of development they were in. We'll have a run group all to ourselves if this trend continues.
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

Craig C

I'd also like to echo all of these sentiments.

It was a great day for me in the circuit training and my son Sean's experience of the Junior Training was invaluable. I've posted some photos on Snapfish with the link shown on my post under the General Winton Photos thread.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0