Lakeside Raceway

Started by spieret, February 18, 2009, 10:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spieret

I woke up on Sunday morning hoping that the rain of the last few days had disappeared. Sure enough my wish was answered. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and there was only little puffy white clouds in the clouds. What an excellent day for heading to Lakeside Raceway for a preview of the now resurfaced track. So I jumped in my GTV and headed off.

The Alfa Club had arranged with a few other clubs to be there as well and I tell you what, arriving there and seeing all the Ferrari's, a few Porsche's and all the Alfa's I knew it would be a great day. We had been informed prior to the event, that we would have a lap or two of the track at no more than 80km/h, that was OK it was a historic moment.

To my surprise we were told that the track would run 20mins on and 10mins off, and to go no more than 100km/h on the straights and 60km/h around the turns. We all signed the forms and off we went. We all managed to stay at those speeds (nudge nudge, wink wink) and had an excellent day of friendly racing. The track is excellent after the resurfacing, at the end i looked down at my fuel gauge now on half after being full and over 100km more on the clock.

I had a great time and thank QLD raceways for the opportunity.

Cheers

Tony
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

alfagtv58

Brilliant Tony  ;D  Glad to hear this iconic Aussie circuit it is back up and running, just as we are about to loose another (Oran Park).

I will be trying to come up there in mid July for the VRA's East Coast Challenge.  And I will attempt to bring some other Vic's with me!!  For all Victorians interested in trying your hand at racing, this is the perfect event to do it, all you need is a half cage in your car (and usual sprint requirments).  I will (if there is enough punters) try to get the cars onto a transporter.

If you are after any further details contact me.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hammer

I must mirror Tony's enthusiasm for the day. John Tetley was kind enough to allow us onto his baby before any other members of the public and we had an absolute blast. I took the sedate family sedan (the 156) for a trundle and couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I've now downloaded a map of the track from the net and have been trying to memorise those lines. I can't wait for our first racing hit out on the March 22 weekend.

See you in July Phil - and bring as many Vics with you as you can muster. We need all hands on deck to wrestle the trophy from those damned blues!

Brent