Cheap Spider carpet set - Victoria

Started by mn1, April 30, 2024, 03:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn1

Long story...This is a Lakewell set supposedly for Spiders from '78 to '94. A number of issues with S3 fitment - the panel that sweeps under the rear scuttle makes no allowance for the ECU cover for a fuel injected S3. You might be able to cut it appropriately but not much wriggle room to get it right. Second issue - the knuckle-head who cut it put the footwell templates down upside down so with the offset tunnel the wide footwell piece is about 40mm too narrow and the narrow piece is too wide.....there is enough over size in the tunnel and footwell side pieces to make sure there is no gap where the wide footwell piece rests and obviously a too large one can be made smaller but it means the edge trim will need to be removed and replaced if you go this route. The skinny bit that goes just below the parcel deck has the offset correctly placed - go figure. The rest of it is pretty good for fit but, as with all sets, fettling is always required. In summary, a bit of work and footwell compromise is required to make this set work.  My solution was to make a complete set from scratch. In the end I used the pieces as templates (which saved heaps of time) for a set I cut from carpet supplied by Knox Auto Carpets (you need 7 meters off the roll) and edged it with vinyl from Vyfab. So price will reflect the limitations and if you have an S3 and want to take a punt or just use the pieces as templates I have my original rear scuttle sweep pieces for the bits that are unique to fuel injected models. If anyone is interested...this set cost about A$700 back when the A$ was at parity...so it wasn't cheap then ...but it will be now. Open to offers. Note- there are (redundant) pieces within the set that may or may not be required depending on year of Spider and as a set of templates it would be suitable for  any series and a great starting point. Colour in photo appears as a solid blue - it has a lighter blue fleck and appears lighter in real life. email me at mekem4@gmail.com if you have any queries