Fitting oiled foam air filters to the Alfetta

Started by bonkfrog, January 30, 2009, 09:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonkfrog

I'd like to exchange Lynx/Ramflo filters for the original plastic box/paper element air cleaner. I've taken the filter box off and it allows access to all sorts of things; at least I can now get to the fuel filter! Before I go any further, I'd like some advice from those who've done this before:
1  Will the carby bodies need support from the existing strut (modified)? Has someone got an elegant solution?
2  I take it I can take the oil breather to a catch can, rather than trying to fit it to the new air cleaners
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

Colin Byrne

1.  if you remove the air box completely the carbies must be connected together and to the support strut with some kind of bracket.  Vin Sharp has aluminium plates that have all the required holes cut out for exactly this and is what is generally used when adding intake "trumpets" and sock type filters,  if you don't add a bracket the rubber carbie mounts will crack and the engine will begin to run lean...

2.  Catch tank is fine, if you plan to run sprints it must be at least 2L capacity, and make sure you don't seal it! The catch can must be able to breath.

hope that healps
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

bonkfrog

Thanks Colin

Vin had no stock of the adaptor plate/bracket unfortunately. I've now made up a bracket using the lower support bush & housing,a tubular support arm and a steel plate to bolt to the rear of the carbys. It's rough - all tits and scars, like a drover's bitch -  but it does the job until I get time to fit the new mounts, gaskets & bush (and the temperature goes down to under 40!)  I guess I might as well re-build the spare dell'Ortos & fit the lot at the same time - turning into a major project.

Cheers

John
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

Chris Shannon

I just made the same modification to my 116 GTV and had a friend draw up a plate in a CAD programme for me from the original airfilter valance / manifold or whatever it's called. I then sent it to a laser cutting company who produced the bracket. I only had to add a couple of holes and it was done. About $ 75.00. Just make a paper template first and check it against your setup in case it's different to mine. I've tried attaching the drawing as both DXF and DWG file types but this forum won't accept either file type, so if you PM me I can email them to you. You'll just need a CAD viewer to view them - should be available as freeware. I'll attach a JPEG of the file but don't use it as it won't be to scale.

And what Colin said about the bracket is correct. Make sure you reinstall it with the new setup.

Good luck!

Christo65