Busso v6 3.2 24v cams

Started by ALFAAA, December 07, 2023, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALFAAA

Hi to all, Just need a bit of advice,
Have just changed my cam belt on a Gt 3.2 24v engine that I fitted to my Alfetta GTV.
I have used my 3.2 cam locks to phase the cams correctly .
The timing marks at the rear of the cams line up with the head casting as per the workshop manual.
I used my piston TDC tool and dial indicator for the crank, pulley timing mark lines up with front engine cover web.
I hand rotated the crank and had every cylinder TDC firing ( firing order 1 4 2 5 3 6 ) and noticed the cylinders 1,2,3 are firing the Inlet and exhaust cam lobes are pointing in about 45 degrees, when cylinder 4,5,6 are firing on the cam lobes are pointing out.
Does this sound correct?
Is this normal for these v6 3.2 24v.
Did a compression test and the cylinders are all just above 200 psi which 10:1 compression ratio which is correct to spec.
I have replace my spider busso v6 3.2 24v cam belt every 3 years in the past 12 years with the same cam locks that I got from EB Spare UK and have had no issues car runs perfect.
I would of liked to attach photos but I don't know how to. :(
Current :2004 916 V6 3.2 Spider (baby)
             :Alfetta GTV6 1984 3.2 24v
             :2024 Tonale Veloce SUV

Past       :Alfetta GTV  1977
             :147 Selespeed 2002

bazzbazz

It all sounds good, and it would be no different from what you have done in the past with the Spider.

What is it that you are worried about?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

ALFAAA

Hi Bazz, Shouldn't the cam lobes be in the same position on each cylinder firing.

At the moment when 1.2.3 cylinders are firing the Inlet and exhaust cam lobes are pointing in about 45 degrees to each other, when cylinder 4,5,6 are firing the cam lobes are pointing out, they are not in the same position as 1.2.3.

I turned the engine 2 complete turns by hand and the timing marks are spot on and the cam locks sit on the cam lobed perfectly.

vinsharp

You need to observe the reversed layout of Left and Right hand heads and just think about it again...remebering that all cams rotate in the same direction, but on opposite heads approach the bucket from a different perspective.

ALFAAA

Thank you vinsharp.
So they are different cam phasing on firing left to right hand heads,
I have not seen this before. ???
Thats why I asked the question.

vinsharp

I'm not quite sure what you mean by phasing, but yes let's call it that.
The opening & closing timing events happen exactly the same on both the left and right: everything happens in precisely the same manner for all cylinders regardless of its position. The physical arrangement of the heads are opposites.
For instance, the driver's side intake cam points away from the sparkplug to begin depressing the bucket down, whereas
the passenger side the lobe has to point towards the spark plug. Why?...because the cams are physically on the opposite side of the spark plug when comparing right to left heads.
Therefore, the cam timing will 'look different' right to left.

ALFAAA

Thankyou Vinsharp.
Fantastic,
You have answered my question. :)