ride height on 72 Spider

Started by pbhawkin, October 10, 2023, 02:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbhawkin

I suspect that my ride height is low.
my measurements from the ground to top of each wheel arch are:
front (both): 59.5cm (23.5 inches)
Rear left: 58.5cm (23 inches), rear Right: 58cm (22.8 inches)
So it seems pretty level, but the bottom of my  ribbed sump is only 10cm  clearance and that, I think, is too low.

I tried to measure the proper front ride height but it appears as though the hub swivel point is higher than the lower spring pan arm measuring point!
My shocks are Spica (and I suspect the original ones) and my Springs are Black but I can't identify them. They seem to have the upper rubber pad in place but I am not sure if there are any shims in place (I don't have a car stand or hoist).

Can anyone advise (hopefully others with S2 spiders)?

regards
Peter
Mudgee
1972 Alfa Spider

SimonR

Peter I have a 1973 S2 and my sump to ground is close enough to 10cm even and I scrape on some speedhumps and also sometimes on the very poor victorian roads when I drive to our holiday house. (worst roads I have driven on in victoria!) 
Both my front arches to ground are 59.5cm and Left rear is 58cm and Right 57cm ( I didnt know they were uneven till just now)

I believe its correct to have a slightly lower rear than front, see alfaholics and classic alfa web photos stance of their cars.

I am running Koni red all round and tyres are 195/60/14 on original 1970,s Momos.

Regards Simon
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

pbhawkin

Thanks Simon,
Nice to get a comparison and somewhat confirmation that it is probably ok and in the ball park!
I don't know the complete history of the car and if the springs or shocks (Spica on at least the rear. may be originals?) have been altered or changed or if there are spacers insitu(and as I don't have a hoist can't easily check).

regards
Peter
1972 Alfa Spider