Who else is 6'1" and what cars can you comfortably drive??

Started by pbhawkin, June 18, 2023, 03:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbhawkin

Hi All,
After trying to fit into the drivers seat of a 1973 Spider and realising it was too small for me to drive (safely!), I wonder what cars other tall drivers find suitable?

I also tried a 105 series 1600 GT Junior and a Guilia spider all too small! I did fit in a 1975 MGB GT but it did nothing for me!

Any ideas most welcome.
Maybe I will just have to come to a club day and sit in everyone's cars ;D

Regards
Peter H
Mudgee NSW

1972 Alfa Spider

bazzbazz

I am the same height and suffer the same problem. I can't fit into a 916 GTV or Spider either without reclining the seat back at an uncomfortable angle or having the roof down, so unless you are anatomically much different from myself you can scratch them off as well.

I can quite happily fit into a 939 Brera/Spider, so there's hope for you yet, your just gonna have to suffer going a little more modern.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

I'm 6'2 (193cm apparently).

I fit (and more) easily into a 1600GTJunior, AlfaSud Sprint, Duetto and current GQV
In fact of all the cars I've owned or been partner to.. the MGB mk2 was the most uncomfortable (nigh impossible to comfortably drive and just plain agriculture compared to the Duetto).

And, I'm considered a fat bastard... Did you adjust the seats?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

pbhawkin

Hi Craig,
Is the duetto larger than the series 2 spider? Does a 2+2 Version reduce the seat movement (backwards) thereby reducing driver space?
Yes I had the seat back up against the rear "seat".

Maybe a 2600 sprint or spider is the go!
1972 Alfa Spider

MD

When faced with a stiff problem, an introduction of a bit of levity always helps. It's the BBC Top Gear formula.
Time for a steering deviation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhBEl80P9c
Enjoy.
 ::)  ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTVeloce

I'm 6'3 and can fit in my 75 easily and my Alfetta GTV (just!). Don't fit in the GTV with a helmet so will need to fit a racing bucket when I finally get in ready for some track days.

My friend who is also 6'3 was having issues fitting in his NC MX5 and bought a kit that lowered the drivers seat. He said it worked perfectly for him. Maybe something similar could be done for your preferred car?

poohbah

Not sure how old you are now, but if you wait till you're over 65 you'll probably fit in everything.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

pbhawkin

Quote from: poohbah on June 19, 2023, 11:18:36 AMNot sure how old you are now, but if you wait till you're over 65 you'll probably fit in everything.
Hmm, I'm about to turn 60! Little hope I'll shrink the required 5 inches by 65!😆
1972 Alfa Spider

pbhawkin

1972 Alfa Spider

Craig_m67

Hej Peter,

All the 105/116 Spiders are built on the same(ish) floor plan.  Ironically the later series 3 or 4 are tighter inside due to a heavy bolster under the dash near your knees.

All the 105 series cars are built on the same floor plan (design), that is simply stretched between the spider, coupe and sedan.  Auto body data I have says the spider is 100mm shorter than the coupe.  No idea how long the sedan is.

Maybe try a few more cars on for size, I find the Duetto has heaps of room

pbhawkin

Yes I will have to try a Duetto for size, but can't see how it would be much different to a series 2 for leg room under the steering wheel or space for my big feet on the pedals!
1972 Alfa Spider

Craig_m67

Quote from: pbhawkin on June 21, 2023, 09:53:25 PMYes I will have to try a Duetto for size, but can't see how it would be much different to a series 2 for leg room under the steering wheel or space for my big feet on the pedals!

It wouldn't be.  My thinking was along the lines of just trying a different car. No two pairs of old jeans fit the same.  That said, the Duetto doesn't have a centre console, so feels a bit more spacious

pbhawkin

Aah, I see. Yes no centre console would certainly help.
1972 Alfa Spider

xitsurf

plenty of stuff on other international forums.  all pretty positive for you.
  quick google just bought this one up
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/i-need-to-drive-one-might-be-too-tall.7269/