cold starting and MAF cleaning

Started by vjr, January 23, 2009, 06:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vjr

I have what appears to be a not uncommon problem of hard starting and stalling when the engine is cold, even (or especially) in hot weather. The car fires easily but then idle is erratic and often stalls. A bit of googling has shown that the MAF sensor is a probable culprit. I had the car in the other day for service and timing belt, and also checking brake grippiness (which has been improved) and also to check the problem I mentioned. They weren't able to diagnose it by the end of the day and I've re-booked it for Feb 3rd.

A few questions... firstly, should I think about cleaning this myself? I've seen a guide on doing this (don't have the link right now) and you need a tool for Torx(?) screws to get it off. Even if I could, would it be advisable? Also, would the mechanics know to check for this? Apparently it doesn't show up on the Alfa analysis machine.. do they rely on that too much? Should I suggest to them to check the MAF, or ask if they did? Sorry for all the quetsions.

Thanks for any help

Colin Byrne

MAF sensors can be very delicate, i would be very careful if you attempted to clean it yourself
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

david sammartino

be careful cleaning the maf. however if you insist on cleaning it, i know there is a specific maf cleaning spray that you can purchase. i forgot the name of the product exactly but im sure its easy enough for you to find out from you local repco/burson/autoknownothingbarn/race shop.

vjr

That's ok, from those responses I wouldn't go near it myself  :) I'll just have to suggest to the mechanics that they take a look at it, if they hadn't already.
Thanks.

vjr

Well I took the car back to have a second look, and they have diagnosed a problem with the 'idle air actuator', which will set me back around $800 fitted. Has anyone had a similar issue? Apparently overall performance should be improved, not just the idle roughness/stalling when cold.

As I see it I don't have much choice, so it will be fixed in the next day or so. I hope it improves the sluggish performance that I'm experiencing also.

Peejay74

You can use Iso to clean them. I cleaned the MAF in my 166 and it's still working OK. Soak it for about 60mins and then allow to dry completely before using. You will need a 5 sided screw driver with a hole up the centre to get it out of it's mount.