CV joint boot replacement

Started by Sam, January 18, 2009, 10:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi ,

I'm trying to find out how to replace a CV joint rubber boot.

My son's 75 has a broken boot and I need to understand how these CV joints come together, so I can fix it.

I had an old Alfetta CV joint floating around and I noticed that the shaft had a spline end.
It was barely showing but noticeable, so I lightly tapped the main section off the shaft and was then able to slide the old boot off.

When I tried the same on the 3ltr 75 shaft it wouldn't budge. The 3ltr 75 sharft is larger and I'm not sure if it works the same as the Alfetta.
Maybe there is a curclip or something stopping it from coming off,  but I cant seem to find anything.

Is there any information on the Web showing how to do this? is it just a matter of seperating (i.e. tapping) the end section off the shaft and sliding a new boot over?

thanks in advance
Sam

Storm_X

The axels/drive shafts on the 75 is larger the the alfetta the bolts are larger on the 75 that hold it in place.
i would guess buying one off another car. not sure if the boots on the end slide off not sure havent broke one yet.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Sheldon McIntosh

From memory, you have to take off the end metal cover (tap it off with a screwdriver or similar), then there's a circlip inside.  If you're lucky, once you've got the circlip off (and recovered it from the other side of the room), the CV will just slide off.  I've heard some people have had to use a press, I got lucky and mine slid off easily.

Sam

Ok
thanks for this, i'll give it a try

Sam

Sam

Just a quick question, does anyone know where to get a CV boot for a 3ltr 75 from?
I tried a few CV & drive shaft places none were able to help.

Thanks in advance

sam

Robert. Dale

Hi Sam,
           I'm not quite sure where you are but some of our Sponsors would be a good place to go.

Milano Spares or Alfpa Repairs should be able to sort you out with CV Boots wherever you are from.

Regards Rob Dale.
Current Alfa
2014 Giulietta Progression TCT

Past Alfas
2013 Mito Progression TCT
1985 GTV 2.00L
2004 147 Selespeed
2000 156 Selespeed88
75TS(Road/Track)
84GTV6
81 GTV (Under 2Lt Sports Sedan Race Car) Should never have sold it
82 Alfetta 2.0 Sedan
83 GTV
74 Alfetta 1.8

Sheldon McIntosh

I just got a generic one from Maranello Pursang in Brunswick (check the sponsors page).  They have genuine Alfa ones too, but why would you bother?

I don't think they're an unusual size or anything, but the only trick is making sure you can put on a metal clamp on the large end of the boot, a cable tie won't cut it.

Did you get the end off the shaft?  Where are you located?

redalfaracing

i looked into getting some spare boots and the cv joint guy said they are nothing special, infact they take the same boot as commadores. shouldn't be too hard to find and shouldn't cost the earth.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

dehne

turin imports have them if you cannot find any i have a full set thats if they are the same as a 90
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Sam

Hi everyone,

Yes,  I did get the shaft off,  It was quite easy once I followed Sheldon's instructions.  :)

I know Mark (Milano Spares) and Bruno (Maranello) pretty well,  I can't believe I didn't think to try them first.

For some reason I thought CV boots were a specialty that only  CV &  Driveshaft places looked after.

I'll give either MarK or Bruno a call tomorrow.

Thanks for your help with this everyone

Sam