SOLD - 155, 1994 2.0 8V - CHEAP, LOCKDOWN SALE, TOW-AWAY, AS-IS

Started by shiny_car, July 26, 2021, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiny_car

**COLLECTED**

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

**tow-away required: WILL NOT START**

PRICE: [sold] (the rego plates are nearly worth this!); no RWC; fixed price
DURATION OF SALE: in its current state, probably up to a week at this price, until I fix it, or until sold
CONTACT: send PM via these forums, or text me (I am unlikely to answer the phone, sorry): [sold]
PAYMENT: I request a 10% deposit (eg: PayPal or bank transfer); balance on collection or prior (PayPal or bank transfer, and you can txt me a receipt)

For sale, regrettably, is my beloved Alfa Romeo 155.  Please read through this ad carefully.  It currently will not start, and thus is for sale at this ridiculously low price, BUT FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME.

Why won't it start?
The two remote controls no longer communicate with the aftermarket immobiliser, so I cannot disable the immobiliser, so the car will not start.

Can this be fixed?
Yes, I have a spare/new remote, that SHOULD be programmable.  But to programme it, the process involves turning the ignition key from ACC to ON...but of course an Alfa does not have an ACC setting!  I presume the immobiliser has both its ACC and ON power wires connected together; to overcome this, the unit needs to be located behind the dash, the wires identified, and then manually triggered.

Alternatively, the immobiliser needs to be removed.
Do I guarantee this is fixable? No, but confident the above holds true.

Can I personally fix it?
Yes, but it requires time.  And when I do, the car can be started and driven.  Once fixed, I will increase the price accordingly.  Hopefully I have the time to do this in a week or two.

Does the car drive?
Yes, it has been my daily driver until last week!  It drives fine.  I have now bought a replacement daily driver, so the 155 is no longer required.

Who would by this car?
Hopefully, someone who will fix it and drive it.  It could continue as a daily driver, weekender, or even a cheap track car!  There is also one other 155 advertised in Australia, on carsales.  My car would make an excellent donor car of performance parts; combine the two for a very nice vehicle.

Background:
- the 155 is rare in Australia; I don't know how many currently exist, but probably under 5; I've NEVER seen another one in person
- this car was imported from Hong Kong by Foley Alfa Romeo, a Sydney dealership, back around 1999; it was part of a batch of cars, including virtually all the 155s that exist in Australia and 24V 164s
- I purchased the car from an owner in Adelaide, back in 2008, with about 160K km's on the clock
- currently has 214K km's
- I originally performed an extensive overhaul, and upgraded many, many parts
- unfortunately the car has lived outside over recent years, so the paint, in particular, is now poor
- amongst 155s, I would describe it as a Phase 1 update version (ie: updated early model; a major change with the Ph.2 was to the 16V motor)

So, what do you get for your money?

THE GOOD

- rare vehicle
- good engine: still performs strongly, with little/no oil consumption; 8 valve Twin Spark; factory 104kW; Penrite Racing10 10W40 oil, changed every 10K km
- aftermarket ECU upgrade: I could not identify what exactly it is
- 5 spd manual gearbox; I had it filled with Redline MT90 oil; no clutch issues, and still on the same one I bought it with
- aftermarket exhaust: it came with aftermarket 4-1 headers; I fitted a 200 cell/in^2 high flow cat; fitted a Remus rear muffler
- wheels (since 2008): 17x7" Enkei (made in Japan) GTC01, 4x100 PCD, fitted with wobble-bolts; high quality, light weight wheels (?$1200+ replacement)
- tyres: Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 215/40R17; plenty of tread left; personally, my next set would be something like Michelin or Pirelli because I find the Bridgestones give a hard ride, though handling/grip/braking is excellent; (?$1200/set)
- brakes (since 2008; bought from Italy): Tarox (made in Italy) 'G88' slotted discs front/rear, with Tarox Stradale pads; good braking, never had issues, no squeal, not noisy
- suspension (since 2008; bought from Germany): H&R set, including front coilovers with adjustable ride height; feature Bilstein shock absorbers tuned by H&R; the ride is firm, and combined with the whee/tyres/ARBs, firmer than what I now enjoy, but handling is excellent (?$2000+); fitted with new lower front suspension arms, top strut bearing mounts (2008)
- antiroll bars (pre-fitted): Eibach front and rear ARBs; I fitted polybushes to the front drop links because rubber ones didn't last
- OMP front strut brace (since 2008; bought from Germany)
- headlights (since 2008): Philips HID aftermarket kit, 4300 Kelvin; the car features projector lenses with a sharp cut-off mask, so HIDs suit nicely, without causing glare to oncoming traffic; the globes are now aging, but still provide good lighting, but would be better with fresh HID globes
- clear side indictors, with orange globes
- interior: cloth trim holding up nicely; no major tears; clean
- Nardi steering wheel; Alfa centre badge; offset of wheel places it closer to the driver, so the stalks (indicator+wiper) have been changed to Ph.2 versions that suit and retain the normal reach
- genuine MOMO gearshift knob and handbrake lever; handbrake gaiter is a poor fit (no proper 155 version available)
- stereo: I modified the doors to fit 6.5" speakers (factory speakers are 4" front and 5.25" rear), which are Morel Maximo 6 (fitted 2020), with an Alpine Bluetooth CDE-163BT headunit (BT phone, music streaming); rear speakers removed (factory ones had perished)
- rego: will sell with Premium Euro plates: V.AR155 ($995); current rego expires November 2021
- box of spares in the boot

Likely to be a fair bit more 'good' that I've forgotten to mention'.

THE BAD

- it's getting old, with lots of wear and tear
- engine idle: recently started to have an erratic idle: this has only happened during the cold winter, so I suspect either a sticky Idle Control Valve (I recommend giving it a clean) or sticky airflow meter flap (could be time to replace it); once warm, the idle is normal and there is no hesitancy when driving AT ALL
- power steering fluid leak: not the first time, but from a different place; I've replaced hoses where there's been splits, but another leak has developed!  It isn't pouring out, but does require frequent top-ups at the moment
- paint: terrible; I originally had the bonnet and boot resprayed, and these are holding up; but there is bad fading - to the point of superficial rust - on parts of the roof; also the front wheel arches, where the tyres rubbed and folded the edges slightly, cracking the paint and resulting in corrosion
- rattles: a fair amount in the interior
- ride quality: both good and bad; possibly too hard for some
- aircon: doesn't blow cold, and hasn't for a couple years, but was fine until then; it may be fine with a re-gas but I've never bothered; the rest of the climate control works 'ok'; in general, the fan is weak, always has been; intermittent electrical issue means it occasionally doesn't function and goes into error mode, but I can demonstrate how to overcome this (never failed to fix itself)
- rear demister: non-functional; could be a ground, could be the relay
- fuel gauge: overall, it works, but when below half, the needle frequently 'dances' (flickers); could be a ground issue
- left electric mirror: no longer working via door control
- door cards: particularly the driver's door, the trim where you rest your elbow has 'collapsed'
- rear window tint (refitted when I purchased) is pealing: I recommend peeling it right off
- BlueTooth phone mic: the Alpine headunit with BT replaced a Parrot BT kit; I have not swapped the mic's over; the Parrot one is connected but isn't compatible (?impedence) so you cannot be heard; I have the original Alpine one, that just needs to be changed over
- other interior trims: some minor breaks and cracks; carpet fairly worn and stained (pre-existing)

May be more 'bad' aspects that I've forgotten to mention but I don't think I've forgotten anything else major.

VIDEOS

https://i.imgur.com/QwjpTmh.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/8BBEKOg.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/yCZCpnP.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/GYeQFeQ.mp4

I am happy to try and answer any questions/enquiries but...

First in first serve (I will monitor times of any PMs/txt msgs): sold to first person to message me or text with intention to buy, NO HOLDS!!  Basically, you must commit to buy and collect.  I will NOT accept 'can I see it first' or 'subject to seeing it', etc.

At this price, you take the risk.  You must be prepared to come and collect it (eg: with a trailer).  It is parked in my driveway, which has a gentle slope, so it would take some manpower to push uphill; best to have a trailer with a winch.

Please, no time wasters.  Prompt collection of vehicle (after lockdown) required.

Thanks. Richard
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey