NEW SEASON OF TOP GEAR IN UK

Started by magnum, November 04, 2008, 11:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Pearce

Me again 1750GT, what about coming up with me to see the POMS live TG show in Syd? I might be able to arrange a free beer for you in the Ateco Alfa Romeo box. Here is the tickets.
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TOPGEAR09
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Davidm1600

Morning all. I think we are all in agreement that it is good to have the mad pommie buggers on UK TG back once more. 

Ditto am looking forward to seeing the review of the 8C again, having already seen it on Youtube, and I do agree with Clarkson's view of it being art.  However, it is interesting to note that there seems to be fairly stong reaction against the 8C in the US, well at  least on the BB.  Many there seem to be against it, on the basis that it is a cynical PR excercise of the Fiat corporate, doing some good old badge engineering on a Maserati.  Not sure I entirely agree with their views but still interesting to note.  Mind you they also seem to be largely non interested in any modern Alfa, post 75s and 164s, given that they are have been FWD and produced since the Fiat takeover of Alfa., but at the same timecomplain about the delays on Alfa returning.  huh ??

I would hope that given we in Aus at least have been lucky enough to have Alfa back on our shores, unlike in the US, that we can at least make an informed assessment based on driving and owning the new models. 
To me, my 156 Sportwagon continues the Alfa heritage of great design and sporting vehicles which leave a smile on your face after going for a drive, whether short or long. 

I am still puzzled though regarding the reference to Nicky or Vikki, can someone explain ?   

Perhaps even if we can't all agree on how good Aussie TG is or not, at least it is there for those who wish to watch it. Sure it could be better and perhaps in time if it continues it will be. I do actually remember Peter Wherret's TV programs and yep agree they were great, but for the time and absolutely with no resemblance to TG.  I think enough has been said on the issue of dealers and how good or crap they are.  Perhaps we have different experiences. 

Wish it wasnt raining or I might have been tempted to take my 1750 GTV for a fang. Oh well at least the 156 is there waiting for me :)  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Gary Pearce

Hey Sports Fans, wasn't Top Gear UK (last night) just the greatest? I think it had the best mix of reviews and fun, and Jay Kay and Sabine Schmitz are tops!
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Stuart Thomson

The one in the UK was better.

They did a tour of Vietnam from the south to the north on motorbikes.  Absolutely hilarious.

Cheers
Stuart

Barry Edmunds

Hi Guys
Like most everyone else I too enjoyed Top Gear. Good to see Sabine strutting her talent.
What would be better than a lap of the Ring with Sabine in a Giulia Super?
That one tops my Bucket List.
Barry

1750GT

Hooray! we are all back on the subject, enjoying Top Gear UK and waiting for the next exciting instalment. Unfortunately I couldn't watch it tgis week but will catch it on tape when I get back from holidays. I can only hope that James Morrison and a bigger budget will have some affect on the quality of the aussie version.

1750GT

dehne

did anyone figure out  who the stig was today with the clues from the london news paper they clues were
  in his thirtys
  married
drives a $30.000 car
  have heard it was ben collins but i think mika hackanan
does any one else have an idea
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

k76

I don't think its one guy. To get that calibre of driver to drive for them on a regular basis over such a long timeframe would be very expensive. Maybe Ben Collins, but doesn't Mika Hakkinen live in Monaco?
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Barry Edmunds

For those suggesting Ben Collins as the Stig, you are correct. I believe that he is a Canadian. He is certainly married (a friend is close mate of Stig's now father in law).

Just hope that UK Stig comes over here with Clarkson and Co and teaches the local Stig how to drive as he sure needs it. Local Stig is certainly not as good as his UK counterpart. So far local Stig's test driving efforts would have me doubt if he could out of sight on a slightly misty day let along a fog.

alfagtv58

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Collins_(driver)

Yup, I have heard the same thing.

From wiki (link above).....On a separate occasion, following an accident involving Richard Hammond in September 2006, the Health & Safety Executive report into the event recorded that Collins had "worked closely with Top Gear as a high performance driver and consultant" and had prepared a briefing for Richard Hammond preceding the event
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Davidm1600

Sorry guys but who the heck is Ben Collins?  Never heard of him and/or what his credentials might be for him to qualify as the Stig.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

dehne

the real stig is coming over and ben collins i think was a super touring car driver and as the stig gets paid 130+ thousand pound a year i think its on stig.
some say he was born with race fluid for blood and pisses high octane fuel all i know he is shit loads better than ours
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Sheldon McIntosh

Have I missed something?  Why is the Aussie Stig no good?

dehne

have u seen him drive an alfa yet
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Davidm1600

Thats true Dehne, but then again I can't actually recall UKTP Stig driving an Alfa either.

I think the point of criticism is that Aussie Stig, must be Stig's cousin or something and runs on low octane unleaded, since he seems slow and pretty loose around the test track.  But then again the Aussie TG test track is crap, no long proper long straight, too many chicanes, is narrow and therein may infact lay the real problem. Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina