Forries

Started by Citroënbender, January 16, 2019, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

A friend wants to go road-tripping/sightseeing on the fairly well-trodden Broome to Darwin route.

I've been reading up, and found this "blog-lite" reasonably informative as a starting point:
https://clairesfootsteps.com/broome-darwin-drive-itinerary/

The author punted a Forester, and apparently it acquitted itself handsomely through the trip. I'm wondering about acquiring a similar car. Likely travel would be winter 2020, so I have time to prepare. I can see it's a journey where one wouldn't want a major failure due to downtime and the on-costs of a remote location.

So, the "TLDR" version is "Tell me all about older Subaru Foresters; the good and the bad"...

:)

poohbah

I can't speak for older models but we've got a 2014 Subi, which replaced a 2012 model.

I can't recommend them highly enough in terms of safety. Three years ago, we got T-boned in the 2012 by a woman running a red light (who never even braked). Hit us flush on the B-pillar, spun us 180d and rolled us 360d back onto the wheels. Forester was a write-off, but we all walked out with nothing worse than minor cuts and bruises.

They are like tanks. Not too bad on fuel for their size either, good ride, and solid road-holding with permanent AWD. Good amount of space as long as you don't have really young kids (requiring prams etc).

My only real criticism is the CVT - the one in the 2014 is light years better than the 2012 CVT, but they really are not very inspiring transmissions, though once you are cruising they are ok. But as the wife can't drive a manual, I didn't have any choice. if you do get a CVT, usual rules apply - needs to have been serviced according to logbook intervals, I've seen some commentary that the CVT can be a bit fragile in high mileage cars if not properly maintained. I've not had any issues however.

PS - I haven't done any real off-roading but they are okay on gravel tracks and beach sand (not too soft).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Cheers; probably well newer and dearer than my likely target but occasional bargains pop up - just like Pseud's 159...  :)

poohbah

I always liked the look of the model before the 2008-12 series (ie mid noughties models). And I'd guess they are structurally as tough as the later ones, just fewer airbags etc. How much are you prepared to spend?

For what its worth, here's a couple of pics of our Subi, post crash. Despite the roof opening, and the massive deformation on LHS, there was remarkably little intrusion into passenger cell.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

I'm a frugal bloke, I'd rather buy a dirty and slightly broken car cheap than a mid-priced one where  - when I looked hard - had a litany of things either bodged or about to need attention.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars-vans-utes/albury/forester/carmake-subaru/cartransmission-m/caryear-1999__2008/forsaleby-ownr/k0c18320l3004551r500

Shake it down on the east coast, punt across to WA, by then you'd have it properly sorted to go off-piste. I'd probably plump for a bash plate, structural nudge bar, receiver hitch and small lift kit. 

poohbah

Yep, that's the earlier model I always liked, and there are stacks available for under $5k. Get a manual.
            1981 GTV