gtv engine change

Started by Thmpar, September 13, 2008, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thmpar

Ok i have a 116 gtv6 have removed the v6 to continue my ongoing project, will the 2 litre just bolt to the same mounting points on the body?
Next question does anyone 2 litre mounts and engine brackets they wish to sell they are the only holding it all back from progressing forward.

Jekyll and Hyde

QuoteOk i have a 116 gtv6 have removed the v6 to continue my ongoing project, will the 2 litre just bolt to the same mounting points on the body?
Next question does anyone 2 litre mounts and engine brackets they wish to sell they are the only holding it all back from progressing forward.

No. The V6 mounts on the body sit further forwards in the engine bay, and I seem to remember were also a different bolt pattern.  You either need to modify the 4cyl mounts with a plate along the bottom (to extend them forwards to bolt into the v6 engine bay), or cut the v6 mounts off the body and weld in 4cyl ones in the correct spot.

greengtv8

Short answer is yes, can do it easy enough, i've seen and have done a few conversions the other way. Putting V6's into 4cyl alfetta's, both sedan and gtv. V6 engine mounts and 4cyl mounts, on there base where they bolt to the engine bay, have the slots(for the two mounting bolts) diaganilly opposite. Afew minutes with the right tools will fix this! Also note that the V6 mounts are stiffer than those of the 4Cyl. (i did the same thing when putting a SR20 in my 82gtv afew years back). When you swing the engine in(with the bell housing on), Bolt up the rear bell housing mount into the front of the tunnel and that will tell exactly where the two engine mounts need to sit.
      Just a thought, because the V6 was fuel injected, were or have you thought about putting in the twinspark engine? or you just going back to carbi?
      Either way the engine fit up is pretty much the same.
      I'm pretty sure i have a set of brackets, will have to check on the mounts though! I have a lot of alfetta stuff in my garage i need to sort and get rid of. Will get back to you...
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

Thmpar

Thanx green that will be the plan its actually going to after market fuel injection alot more user friendly and better suited to the track work it will be doing.