Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Started by MattD, November 21, 2017, 12:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattD

Hi Guys,

I'm New to this Forum and I am looking to get myself a GT 3.2 V6 as I have always wanted it . I've found one recently located in Sydney and I've checked some buyer guide but I would like to ask Alfa experts some questions about what I should check before going to inspect it ( I live in Melbourne but I might go back to Sydney for Christmas)

The car I've found has not replaced timing belt yet and 60k servicing is required also the bottom right fog light is missing and jet washer on The left  is gone plus it has had a car reserve in to the front bumper ( not too obvious from disstance )

Apart from the issues mentioned above, I have been advices to check the water pump ,  if Any knocking noises from the suspension and clutch

The car has changed the brake discs a few months ago and it does not have  Q2 diff

I was wondering what it might cost me to do these things and get the car back on the road? I've emailed ALFAMan for a quote but haven't heard anything yet , any other Alfa mechanics recommended in Melbourne ?

Purchase advice would be highly appreciated !
Thanks

bonno

Hi Matt
Firstly, welcome aboard the Alfa Forum and good to see you are doing some research before buying your dream Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6. May I suggest that this topic be best handled on only one appropriate post and that would be the one for the vehicle category for the model /series of vehicle. The reason why I say this is that you will get replies to your question grouped in this one singular post and owners of the vehicle category are more likely to respond, rather than scattered replies across several posts. Your choice on this, but if you decide to have one post, I recommend you delete the others to eliminate confusion. In response to your question a simple check list would be as follows,
1.   Log book servicing available.
2.   Manuals available.
3.   2 sets of keys,
4.   Radio code available.
5.   Check for accident damage front and rear, in particular boot well and front apron
6.   REVS check No financial/ repairable write off.
7.   Evidence of oil leaks engine and gearbox.
8.   Check engine oil cap for any sings of milkiness  (condition of head gasket).
9.   CV joints and boots in good order.
10.   No evidence of rust
11.   No signs of internal water leaks dampness smell.
12.   Engine accelerates well with no hesitation throughout the rev range.
13.   Shift gears smoothly, (syncos in good order)
14.   No warning lights remaining on, ie; Air Bag/ EMS.
As you have indicated the timing belt and water pump requires replacement, together with a front fog light and windscreen washer. An estimate for parts and labour is $2K. Minor panel damage (bumper) could be done by a local franchise company that come to you (get a quote from them via e-mail/text - send photo of damage requesting quote).
cheers
bonno
Frank

Citroënbender

Pros: Cheaper than a 147 GTA, similar running gear
Cons: It will never reach the desirability of a 147 GTA, nor does it have the convenience of a hatchback

Based on the Carsales photos for SSE-AD-5003739 - and that accompanying description which so closely matches that as reported here, it is reasonable to assume the cars are one and the same - it appears fairly tidy and honest. The bumper top fixings - visible in one of the ID tag photos - have witness marks that do not match the current alignment of the screws. Also the boot lid looks in the pictures, to be gappier and slightly uplifted on the left trailing edge. Neither is a cause for concern other than a flag to make sure its determined why they appear thus. 

MattD

Quote from: Citroënbender on November 21, 2017, 09:26:21 PM
Cons: It will never reach the desirability of a 147 GTA, nor does it have the convenience of a hatchback

Based on the Carsales photos for SSE-AD-5003739 - and that accompanying description which so closely matches that as reported here, it is reasonable to assume the cars are one and the same - it appears fairly tidy and honest. The bumper top fixings - visible in one of the ID tag photos - have witness marks that do not match the current alignment of the screws. Also the boot lid looks in the pictures, to be gappier and slightly uplifted on the left trailing edge. Neither is a cause for concern other than a flag to make sure its determined why they appear thus.

Thanks for the heads up  and you were right , that's the one I found but I wasn't sure if I should go back to Sydney for inspection . Actually I was gonna ask the seller to take the car to Max Oddi for an inspection before seeing your comment .

MattD

Quote from: bonno on November 21, 2017, 05:04:24 PM
Hi Matt
Firstly, welcome aboard the Alfa Forum and good to see you are doing some research before buying your dream Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6. May I suggest that this topic be best handled on only one appropriate post and that would be the one for the vehicle category for the model /series of vehicle. The reason why I say this is that you will get replies to your question grouped in this one singular post and owners of the vehicle category are more likely to respond, rather than scattered replies across several posts. Your choice on this, but if you decide to have one post, I recommend you delete the others to eliminate confusion. In response to your question a simple check list would be as follows,
1.   Log book servicing available.
2.   Manuals available.
3.   2 sets of keys,
4.   Radio code available.
5.   Check for accident damage front and rear, in particular boot well and front apron
6.   REVS check No financial/ repairable write off.
7.   Evidence of oil leaks engine and gearbox.
8.   Check engine oil cap for any sings of milkiness  (condition of head gasket).
9.   CV joints and boots in good order.
10.   No evidence of rust
11.   No signs of internal water leaks dampness smell.
12.   Engine accelerates well with no hesitation throughout the rev range.
13.   Shift gears smoothly, (syncos in good order)
14.   No warning lights remaining on, ie; Air Bag/ EMS.
As you have indicated the timing belt and water pump requires replacement, together with a front fog light and windscreen washer. An estimate for parts and labour is $2K. Minor panel damage (bumper) could be done by a local franchise company that come to you (get a quote from them via e-mail/text - send photo of damage requesting quote).
cheers
bonno
Frank

Sorry Bonno for posting the same topic in various category , I wasn't sure where was the best place to post , I've removed the posts in NSW and VIC divisions .

Thanks for the checklist ,  I've saved it but will keep looking . I have been quiet excited getting one but I am gonna do more research (even there are not many in the market)

Craig_m67

Not sure why you're bringing up the 147GTA?

For balance, the GT is built on the 156 Sportwagon and is a hatchback (?!). It has a longer wheelbase (better ride), far more useable interior space with the seats folded (fit your pushy, shed loads of materials from Bunnings) and the exact same GTA running gear (including 330Brembos). Only real difference is the plenum which has GT instead of GTA cast onto it.

Which will be more desirable is entirely subjective, however I believe the 147GTA will always be the 156GTA's boyracer cousin and likely be forgotten :)

Price in the belt(s) and waterpump/tensioners
Probably a thermostat AND have the fuel rail checked!
The fittings age badly and have been known to cause fires

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

David Mills

Great choice of Alfa, Matt.  Probably more bangs for your bucks that anything else around.  Plus as an owner, you would be eligible and invited to join AGOG (Alfa GT Owners Group) and get support and camaraderie from some 40 other owners.  Here's a couple of shots from Alfesta 2107 Tasmania.  Mine the Argento last in line.
Cheers David

MattD

Quote from: David Mills on November 22, 2017, 01:27:08 PM
Great choice of Alfa, Matt.  Probably more bangs for your bucks that anything else around.  Plus as an owner, you would be eligible and invited to join AGOG (Alfa GT Owners Group) and get support and camaraderie from some 40 other owners.  Here's a couple of shots from Alfesta 2107 Tasmania.  Mine the Argento last in line.
Cheers David

THanks David , I have given up on the car in Sydney (kind of ) I found a better in QLD acutally I have always liked the one in QLD more , I wasn't sure if I should fly there for inspection .  it was kind of you to invite , It would be nice to join when the time comes !

MattD

Quote from: Craig_m67 on November 22, 2017, 12:45:38 AM

Not sure why you're bringing up the 147GTA?

For balance, the GT is built on the 156 Sportwagon and is a hatchback (?!). It has a longer wheelbase (better ride), far more useable interior space with the seats folded (fit your pushy, shed loads of materials from Bunnings) and the exact same GTA running gear (including 330Brembos). Only real difference is the plenum which has GT instead of GTA cast onto it.

Which will be more desirable is entirely subjective, however I believe the 147GTA will always be the 156GTA's boyracer cousin and likely be forgotten :)

Price in the belt(s) and waterpump/tensioners
Probably a thermostat AND have the fuel rail checked!
The fittings age badly and have been known to cause fires

I found another GT in QLD and funny that I just discussed this with another seller  he said  the GT is just as practical as a 2 door 147 Hatch. The back seats fold up and the whole back becomes like a big wagon with the seats down. More floorspace than a 147, just less height ( coz it is more beautiful!) ;D

alanm

Some describe the Q2 / Quaffe diff as a must have.
You can enjoy the delights of the car more fully without the worry :)
About $2k fitted.
Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33