Running on 3 cylinders

Started by Ash Gordon, November 16, 2008, 07:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

Thought I had better take the cover of the car and make sure everything was fine prior to the short drive down to Como Park for next weekends Spettacolo.

She finally kicked into life again all sounding sweet until I pulled out onto the street and she sounded more like a tractor than an Alfa.  Thought it might have been a hole in the exhaust to start with so pulled over to check but no tell tale signs to be seen. Then as I pulled away again the power was well down. This has happened previously but cleared itself after a minute or two. Not this time  :-\  The engine sounds fine idling but under load its sounds very agricultural and very sluggish.

SO I have pulled out the plugs all seem ok except for the front one which was very "damp" / black. I presume I am not getting in spark to this plug. The dizzy cap has seen better days and I think there may be some moisture getting in as the point for this lead/ plug is slightly oxidized. Is this enough to cause the problem ??

If so where can I get a new cap soon? Are they a fairly standard Bosch unit ??

Thanks Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Gary Pearce

Could be the cap and they are easily obtainable. Got plenty down here if you are stuck. Frankston.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Colin Byrne

Unlikely to be the cap, caps will usually only give you problems if they are cracked, but worth changing as gary says, easy to get and cheap too, a little oxide will reduce spark size, but unlikely to make the cylinder miss alltogeather.   I would put a slab on it being the plugs, once wet sometimes they never recover, put a fresh set in and I reckon you will be in business
let us know how you go
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

GTAM1

Davidm1600

Hi all

I too suffered from this problem recently with my 1750 GTV.  In my case as far as I can tell it was a combination of my stupidity in not tightening the leads to the battery properly but as well all four plugs, which are in fact brand new keep on fouling, with black carbon.  So I am assuming the engine is running a little too rich.  They don't appear to be wet with oil. 

Now I do have a supposedly new engine in my car (the PO of the engine) claimed it had been rebuilt, and I have hardly used it since I had it installed in my car, so perhaps the car just needs a decent Italian Tuneup, or alternatively I too might have a problem with the carbie balance, spark or something else.  I havn't yet figured this one out.   

Once I clean the sparkies the car runs cleanly and pulls fine but it doesn't take it long before the sparks are re-fouled with black carbon. 

Any other suggestions appreciated, as I don't wish to damage the engine. 

Ash good luck in sorting yours out.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Thmpar

Hey ash my suggestion as a mechanic would be too replace spark plug leads,As they will give you the exact symptoms your describing.
Have seen this so many times on all sorts of cars i have lost count.
Let me know how you get on.

Ash Gordon

Thanks for the help.

I have a few spare plugs floating around somewhere and I have sourced a new dizzy cap from Autobarn of all places .
Might replace the lead while I am there too.

The old cap has seen better days, one of the retaining clips had actually punched a hole the size of a 5c piece in it. and I didn't bother to put the plastic cover that seals the entire unit back over it last time..

If it's still not running right, is there any risk in damaging the engine if I drive it down to Como Park on 3 cylinders? ( about 8 ks).

Ash

Gary Pearce

You'll be right. If you make it the 8 k's you will have any amount of helpers and techno wizzards to help.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

pep105

I reckon youll be right too Ash ive driven on three further than that and it wasnt a daihatsu handivan either! (Fiat 4 banger) Besides if its still running on 3 we can check it out on Sunday as long as you and some of the other guys here give me a push start when i leave.........(Im serious the frikkin Juniors playing up as a result of some freaky electrical gremlins always ran and stared like a demon and in the week leading up to the spectacolo its piss farting around - maybe it wants to stay home!)

Me thinks once you change the plugs and lead it should be kuda and the cap seeng as youve got one.

If you need a spare lead/s I got a set and I can bring them on sunday, let me know (they might be worse than the ones on it now! ;D

Ahh you wouldnt have a spare 1600 starter motor lying around......................
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Ash Gordon

It's bucketing down at the moment but did manage to get the old dizzy cap out in between showers.

Off to pick up the replacement, and tempted to keep driving down to bunnings to find an ENORMOUS umbrella for tomorrow !

Barry Edmunds

Pep

Might be able to assist you re starter motor, if it stops raining.
Ring me on 0405 383 431
Barry

pep105

Hi Barry

Thanks for the offer mate have narrowed it down to the starter motor or the control box (external reg).
Managed to get it to the spectacolo and home again !
If i need a starter ill let you know
Thanks again

Pep

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark