Guilia QV in Supercars

Started by alfamisa, December 22, 2016, 10:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfamisa

Early teaser images here...ok get down from the table and sit down, I suspect it will be as the safety car.

But you know the future possibilities are endless...
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

poohbah

I've been saying the same since Bathurst. It would be brilliant to see a QV in Supercars now that the qualification rules from 2017 on have changed.

Here's one I prepared earlier...

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

kaleuclint

Please no!!!  As if seeing a Mercedes in "Formula Bourbon" wasn't bad enough...  Supercars is a silhouette format where performance is equalised out.  Not the place for Alfa.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

poohbah

C'mon, don't you remember the mid-late '80s, when Touring Cars had a multitude of manufacturers and privateers running?  Bimmers, Skylines, Sierras, Commodores (even a couple of Camaros if I recall correctly) ... and Colin Bond in his GTV6. Brilliant stuff.
            1981 GTV

Duk

As per what kaleuclint said. Unless the rules for 2017 will be different, Supercars is a COMMON chassis game!

Who would want to see an Alfa-esk body draped over an existing chassis to go racing?
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

poohbah

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that the rules will be substantially different from 2017 to allow virtually any four seater that is available locally to compete? (as indicated by them dropping the abbreviation V8 from the title series, which is now just Virgin Supercars).

I believe any engine configuration within a defined power output will qualify, as long as it meets homologation requirements (5000 sold globally).

Not sure about the chassis regulations though - but I'm sure someone on here would know.
            1981 GTV

Duk

They talked long and loud about the Car Of the Future chassis. If they were going to change the underlying chassis or the rules about them, then they've left them too late.
Engine power liniting is easy. They've done it for 20 years or so in Rallying. It has been done in Japanese Touring Car racing for nearly as long.

Everyone on here wants to see the Giulia succeed, but the best place for car manufacturers to prove their metal is in production car type racing. So it would probably gets pushed into the GT4 or even GT3 catagories.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

poohbah

Looks like you are right about chassis:

Technical regulations:  The 2017 season will see the introduction of "Gen2 Supercar" regulations. Two-door coupĂ© body styles will be permitted alongside four-door sedans, while the engine regulations will be opened up to include turbocharged four or six-cylinder engines. However, cars will still be required to be based on front-engined, rear wheel drive, four-seater production cars that are sold in Australia. The chassis and control components will be carried over from the New Generation V8 Supercar regulations used between 2013 and 2016.

Which is a bugger, but I reckon within a couple of years (when the current final series Falcons and Commodores are obsolete and no longer qualify) they may open things up again to broader Touring Car regulations (more like those of the 80s and 90s). If they don't the whole Australian motor racing industry will die - who wants to watch Ford Mondeos and "Holden" Insignias?

Meanwhile, maybe Alfa could enter the Giulia 2.0 Turbo in Europe in the WTCC series. I'd watch that too.
            1981 GTV

ANG156

Damn the Facebook pages of auto action is riddled with alta bashing comments.

I personally don't want to see it in supercars as a silhouette racer. The regulations should be more relaxed and promote ingenuity so that when the Alfa kicks assist as it did in the dtm, the bogans can shut the eff up.

Duk

Sorry, but DTM is/was rediculous.
They have more in common with an open wheeler than a production car

I say bring back a Group A style of racing. Where it's upto the manufacturer to provide the body/aerodynamic performance, the fundamental suspension and chassis design, aswell as the engine and turbo hardware.
Back in the day the GTR's and Cosworths ran turbos that were based on their road car derivative. So were the intercoolers, exhaust manifolds and inlet manifolds.

And for power parity, everyone's engine has to breathe thru the same flow restrictor.

ANG156

Quote from: Duk on December 23, 2016, 08:22:00 AM
Sorry, but DTM is/was rediculous.
They have more in common with an open wheeler than a production car

Reference was made to the ingenuity of the engineering.

I wouldnt read too much into auto action all the facts are wrong.
See attatched

ANG156

It's getting a v8 as well.

Duk

Well if it does all happen as they say, then it would more than likely be a Ferrari based V8.
We'll have to wait and see.

And a decent explanation why DTM is brilliant but also irrelivant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLTxwpsj3Y4

kaleuclint

DTM caters for Germany's bogans (they have plenty!).  They are more like sports sedans.  Bizarrely factory support isn't unknown. 

As for Supercars, when they have a different wheelbase to production cars I find them irrelevant.  Must check: I suspect the a 'Giulia' might run a lengthened wheelbase as opposed to the C'dore / Falcon.  It's the Altima that defines the formula; a FWD car not available with a V8 engine that competes in a V8 / RWD series.

The QV could run in GT / production events like the 12 hour though???  Problem is that few people car about that (maybe 159 diesel owners care?? ;D).
2011 159ti 1750TBi