166 Timing chain woes

Started by ukgazza, July 04, 2008, 11:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukgazza

Hi there,

I have just purchased a 3.0 V6 166 only 2 weeks ago when just this week the timing chain broke while i was driving to work.  I had it towed to Zagame in West Melbourne and they said because of the damage it would have caused because I was driving at the time and not stationary, the best case senario it will be $6,000 to fix or worst case around $8,000!  I only bought the car privately for $12,500!  I also asked alfauto what it would cost to fit a used engine in there and they said it would be around $8,400.  I was just wondering what my best options would be and if there was an option that would keep the costs as low as possible.  Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

Alfa166

Only thing you can really do at this stage is get it stripped down to see what damage was done. Could be bent valves could be more damage but you will only really know once torn down. I would recommend Hugh Harrison from Alpha repairs to see what he thinks. What kind of revs were you doing when it broke and did it shut down immediately when it broke.

ukgazza

Hey thanks for that.  it was considerable cheaper!  Should be on the road in no time!

Cheers

Alfa166

No worries so Hugh could help you out then.

John Hanslow

As a matter of interest, how many k's has the car done and what did the seller tell you about servicing and belts ?

It's great that you are getting the car fixed up by Hugh.  I am sure that you will get the car thoroughly checked out here.  It's a pity what happened to you with your purchase.

Good luck.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

diavlo

Hi quick question been reading for days and cant seem to find what im looking for. Basically i bought a 166 2002 v6 3.0. got stitched basically. Bought the car and dealer smashed it doing a regular service. They start going on about the timing belt and after being upset as it is just left and said forget about so i need to get the belt done.

What should i be paying for it as alfa wanted about $1000k on parts alone (maybe to cover the repairs to the body kit they snapped) i found parts in the uk genuine for about $200 pounds shipped, but rather get it done ASAP as car has about 65500km, and it was due about 5k ago. any suggestions.

Regards

John Hanslow

Do the 166 3.0 lt have 'serpintine belts' and do you have to change the water pump as well on the first belt change ??

Ring around and check out a few quotes via our sponsors page. Try Zagame, lance Dixon, IMC or Hugh harrison, Italian Job to name a few.  I heard it cost about $2.5k including full service at an Alfa dealer/repair centre.

Would be interested to know what a genuine quote would be as I assume a 166 is a bit harder to work on and more involved than a 156 2.5lt V6.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

diavlo

well looks like all car have 1 thing in common, if fuel prices dont empty your pocket maintenance does. From a timing belt to pullies to tensioners to water pump to rocket cover gaskets.

ukgazza

Hey all,

just thought Id give you an update on all whats going on.  The car had only done 105,000kms before the timing chain had gone but it was done almost 3 years ago to the day when it was last changed.  I was only doing low revs when it went, probly bout 40km/h so maybe 4,000 revs tops!  Hugh's been working on the car and I should finally have it back at the end of the week.  He send the total cost would not exceed $6,000, which is good news I suppose as he said the worst engine he ever had to do was about $6,500.  However he said give him a call tomorrow when he gets the cams back to get an idea of the damage. 

Hopefully though this will mean at least nothing from the engine will cause me any problems for a while.  Will keep you posted on the final costing!

diavlo

BAD UPDATE!

I bought the car in for a service at 65,000Km. I changed all the pullies, timing belt, tensioners, rocket cover gaskets, water pump you name it! I left the place drove 10km home fine. Next day went to go to get new tyres fitted. Accelerated slightly heavy, the engine cut like a rev limiter the heat light came on and temperature sorted. Then returned straight to normal.

Pulled over, check coolant, seems might have been an air lock. Level was below min. Refiled the water took off drove about 3km tried to rev it again same thing. any suggestions?? mechanic wants to see it in the morning, thinks it could be a manifold sensor or thermos . anyone ever had same problem.