Duetto for sale

Started by alfagtv58, July 01, 2008, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

On Behalf of fellow Alfisti Kingsley Wallman.

A heads up before it hits the market:

I'm selling my very special 1967 Duetto. I know it's a cliche, but since the arrival of 2 children, it just does not get enough use. So I'm going to restore my 1973 GTV2000, which has four seats, in the hope that I'll get more classic Alfa action.

For those who don't know it, my Duetto is white with a black interior on NSW historic rego. I bought it as a restored shell in the UK from Simon Whiting of Gran Turismo Engineering in 1996. Simon had rebuilt the shell with new floors, sills etc to ensure totally rust free. He then built the car for me for use in tarmac rallies. Spencer Rice has maintained and developed it since I returned to Sydney in 2004. It's been garaged since the body was restored and never had an accident. It's straight, tight and rust free. Some images on Spencer's website and others attached.

Here's a summary of the good bits:
1600cc with Venolia high compression pistons, Jim Evans big valve head, Jim Evans JE004 cams, balanced and crack-tested bottom end, rejetted 40mm webers
lightened flywheel
Pace GTA-type airbox
GTA ceramic coated headers and exhaust
close ratio gearbox (Jim Evans GTA gear set)
electric ignition, fan and fuel pump
oil cooler
sump guard
button clutch
4.55:1 LSD
widened track, negative camber arms
Harvey Bailey bilstein "fast road" suspension
GTV 2000 ATE brakes
brake bias adjustment
battery kill switch
Momo steering wheel
Technomagnesio GTA mag (not alloy) wheels 6x14
Yokohama AO32R tyres
1/2 cage - safety devices bolt in
4 point harnesses
fire extinguishers
Bob Ridgard period leather rally seats
halda twinmaster
Coburn hood and black carpets

I have papers and receipts since I bought the shell and many receipts and UK registration papers from before that. I also have a factory hardtop in UK. It's your's free if you want it, at your cost to ship here.

The car's had minimal use, because when I built it, and for the next few years, I was committed to racing my Giulia Sprint and also had a 1300 GT Junior for daily driving and wet weekends away. Then I lived in the US for 2 years, so it was stored in the UK (by Simon Whiting who regularly drove the car to keep it in order) until I brought it back to Sydney with me in 2004. So its only use has been competing and finishing the 1999 classic marathon, 2001 rally des alpes, 2005 classic adelaide, 2006 alpine rally, 2007 mountain rally and a few weekends away over the years. It's never been raced.

The original shell has done 62,000 miles - with only 10,000 miles since I built the car and the engine less than 5,000 miles. Overall condition is of course excellent, indeed better than an original new Duetto - because it goes, stops and handles. Even the electrics work and the hood is watertight!

It's unique. Not concours but simply the best prepared, reliable Duetto anywhere. And is there really a more beautiful car? (Well, maybe a Dino, except that it has a roof and a prancing horse?) Something different and ready to go for the Veloce Championship.

If anyone's interested, please feel free to contact me. Or call Spencer for his honest appraisal of the car. (Thanks Spencer!)

For genuine sale at $45,000. A fraction of the cost to build one.

Kingsley Wallman
0421 685820
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

kingsley wallman

Hey Phil
Thanks for posting my Duetto.

Fellow Alfisti
My Duetto was built in the UK for relaxed European tarmac rallies, before I brought it home with me. So it still works extremely well as a sunny weekend tourer, or something different for supersprints or maybe even the veloce championship, if you weren't hell bent on winning. It is not an out and out racer. So don't be put off by the "warpaint" for Classic Adelaide in the photos. It's something different from the normal 105 coupe or spider and a very lovely car.

If you'd like more info, email kingsleywallman@yahoo.com or call my mobile 0421 685820.

Kingsley
Enjoying:
1967 Duetto (regularity rally & weekend cruiser)
1972 GTV2000 (for restoration, in family since new)
1987 BMW M5 (daily driver)
1987 BMW M3 (special stage tarmac rally)

Sorely missed;
1965 Giulia Sprint GT (FIA App K race car)
1970 1300 GT Junior

kingsley wallman

Hey fellow Alfisti
I've been underwhelmed by the response to the ad for the sale of my Duetto. It's had plenty of readers, but no buyers. Was the price too high? Because it cannot be the car that is the problem. It is very special: as new and well sorted. Make a lovely weekend cruiser or a racer or rally car. Has all the good bits, built and maintained by the right people. No expenses spared, ever. I know deep down most of us would like to have one at least once. And this one is simply the best. So what's stopping you? Come on, the wife's on my back as I also have a 105 GTV2000 and an E30 M3 in the garage. Enough, she says, 2 toys is enough. So the Duetto must go! Any takers?
Kingsley 0421 685820
Enjoying:
1967 Duetto (regularity rally & weekend cruiser)
1972 GTV2000 (for restoration, in family since new)
1987 BMW M5 (daily driver)
1987 BMW M3 (special stage tarmac rally)

Sorely missed;
1965 Giulia Sprint GT (FIA App K race car)
1970 1300 GT Junior

madram

Yep, beautiful car. Price may be a smidge high, although if it was my car I would think it's a give-away price. If only my garage wasn't already full...
Madram [AROCA-Qld Webmaster]

Current: 1972 2L Spider Veloce
Former: 1988 Alfa 75 2.5L Auto (x2)
            1987 Alfa 33 1.5L Super
            1978 Alfasud Ti