The car formerly known as custard tart attacked by MX5

Started by hammer, June 29, 2008, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

It's been a weekend of mixed fortunes here in Qld, with four Alfas bearing battle scars and three of them out of action. Unfortunately for me, the car formerly known as the custard tart, so lovingly hand-crafted by Jim Nielsen, as been attacked by an out of control Mazda MX5 and has sustained substantial damage. I wore the impact of the crazy little topless bugger right in the B-pillar of the driver's side - so at least I know the cage works. The result is a bent B-Pillar, a slightly bent cage, two stuffed doors, slightly bent front guard and a very sad B.Hampstead. The upside is that I climbed out the window and walked away.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how to downsize the bastards on this Mac.

The 75 is going to have to come out of retirement for next weekend's Italian Challenge.

Cheers,

Brent

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

ANT_GTV6

hammer

Thanks very much lads. I guess these things happen and one has to move on. Guili will have to sit in the garage for a few weeks while I organise the spares and repairs. Panel beater is coming by tomorrow to assess and quote.

Cheers,

Brent

hammer

Here is a before and after shot of the Guilietta. Sorry Jim. It will look pristine once again.

jimnielsen

Hi Brent, I am still in France at the moment.. and Ive just seen this post on the poor Giulietta. I am just glad that you are un injured. I have spare doors etc and I can even cut you out a complete B pillar from a spare car I have here. I will call you when I get back in a cpuple of weeks. cheers, Jim
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

hammer

Jim,

Thanks for the note mate. i hope the holiday is going well.

I managed to come 10th out of 26 entrants in the Italian Challenge, driving the 75. Would have given it a real shake had the Guilietta been healthy. Disregard the message on your answering machine when you get home. The day before the crash, the Guilietta had an electrical issue, which turned out to be a wire leading to the alternator. When I was trying to sort the problem I phoned for your advice. We fixed it up and it ran beautifully until the accident. Give me a call when you return and I will give you the full rundown.

Cheers,

Brent

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

hammer

Yes mate, the Guilietta is fixed and firing. We came third in the Festival of Italian Motorsport last weekend. I had it fixed late last year and have done eight events in it this year. I'm progressively getting quicker in it, but it has taken some time to sort the suspension out for the skinny R tyres I have to use for our comp, as opposed to the big slicks that Jim used to run. Had to soften the rear end a little to improve the traction out of corners. Cornering speed is now excellent.

Thanks very much for asking after the car. If all goes well with business, I might get down to Phillip Island with it for Alfesta.

Cheers,

brent