valve seat cutters

Started by ALF750, December 19, 2015, 01:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALF750

After some advice on options for valve seat cutting tools.   I'm keen to purchase the tools to do this job myself due to both my own interest and the fact I live semi-remote without any handy option to use professionals, particularly those familiar with Alfas.   What sort/brand work well and are affordable?   thanks.

Duk

I've used Neway valve seat cutters. They work very well, but the freight costs were pretty ugly.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

ALF750

yes, done some more reading and they seem popular.   What sizes did you buy for the standard 2l valves?   I'm thinking I could get away with 1.5" if they work +/-1/4" from that?

Duk

The cutters I have are to suit a 3 litre V6's valves. I have 4 individual cutters, 1 of them is a dual angle (45*/30*) because that's what was available for the size I needed for the 44mm inlet valve. The other cutters, 60* (no 3 angle valve seats here), were to open the throat of the valve seat to improve flow, Richard Jemmison style.

The cutters that I have:
NCU-645: 1.75" 30*/45*
NCU-644: 1.75" 60*
NCU-620: 1.5" 45*
A no longer listed NCU-619: 1.5" 60*.
Plus a collet arbor and a turning handle.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

LukeC

My collection... plus some guide removal/insertion tools that I have made myself.

The two pictured alone will do a performance cut on a 2.0 Nord.

I was lucky to have met a guy that had a bunch of cutters that he did not want. $50 and I sold what I did not want on fleabay.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LukeC

This is where I got them from:

https://www.goodson.com/Neway-valve-seat-cutting/

They were substantially cheaper than here in Australia, and I do not remember the freight being over the roof. I bought a few other bits that are hard to get here while I was at it.

Just remember, if you have no experience with this sort of work, you can do more damage than good.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

ALF750

ordered some neway cutters from O/S.   thanks guys.