WHERE IS 156 ENG NUMBER

Started by 17fitty, November 03, 2015, 01:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

17fitty

Wondering where the engine number for a 156jts manual is and can it be seen from the top?Also i have a 156 selespeed that is a donor car(still runs and drives-missing parts)and am about to try and part it out.My queery is are the selespeed engines interchangeable once you have manualised it and moreso do they have the locating hole in the end of crankshaft for the input shaft.
There is approx 8months different between them and many obvious differences???Any help much appreciated

Neil Choi

The number is underneath that aluminum water pipe going across the front of the engine, just next to the head.  It is on the right of the engine looking front on.  You need to remove that pipe to see the number.

17fitty

Thanks Neil now i really hope QLD transport dont want to varify the number as i will leave a pink stain on there driveway-maybe--cheers

Neil Choi

No problems, it is common and be advised to bring a spanner along to undo so the inspector can see, otherwise you are in for another appointment.

Mick A

Just to clarify here it's not aluminium it is a plastic manifold that the number is hidden by, and you can see the number with a mirror but it is quite difficult. It is in two rows and very faint and will probably be covered in surface rust as the block is cast iron.

Cheers

Mick.

Neil Choi

Ah yes, nicely corrected, but No Offence.

17fitty

Yep definately plastic but got the gist Neil and will have a good look at the donor as it has the aluminiun manifold and would prefer that than plastic manifold--if it is interchangeable

Mick A

You'll need to use the plastic manifold on a JTS.

Neil Choi

Mick A

Engines can go with either manual or selespeed box, but the clutch thrust bearings and pressure plates are different.

Mick.

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: 17fitty on November 03, 2015, 08:23:30 PM
Yep definately plastic but got the gist Neil and will have a good look at the donor as it has the aluminiun manifold and would prefer that than plastic manifold--if it is interchangeable

Just what exactly is this donor for?  Because at the moment it sounds like it's probably a Twinspark engine, which you are attempting to use to replace a busted JTS engine...

17fitty

The donor car i was offered in exchange for making some polycarbonate door windows for a tr7 race car .156 has the selespeed issues but complete and driveable but had been sitting outside for a long time hence i started to look for a manual.I ended up buying the red jts of ebay which had a smack in the front but was also still driveable and registered-unfortunately(as seems all to common)the jts was not as described(and yes i asked thorough questions about the hit)ie hail damage/radiator damaged/bootid tagged with key/ac condenser damaged etc.At the end of the day i am trying to make a reasonably priced drivecar hopefully with ac.
As for the motor in the donor theres nothing like having a spare just in case.I have used radiator/ac condensor/bonnet /bar and rhs side guard from the selespeed.The jts is now complete and neat and tidy apart from some variation in paint(some stupid reason rhs panels roof etc have been painted an off red so matching paint was royal PIA)
Thanks for the info choderboy-gives me options