What color is the QV piping??

Started by rossmthompson197, October 05, 2015, 09:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossmthompson197

Hi folks,

Stoopid question probably but I just can't track down an answer... does anyone have a paint code for the QV green piping on the bumpers of a 1987 Sprint??

r.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

colcol

Hello Ross, don't know the answer to your question, but as the car is over 25 years old now, the green would have faded, so a new paint code may be too bright.
You could go to an automotive paint supply and ask them to mix up some paint and match it to the color of your particular car.
In the past, i have had paint mixed to the color code, and it was too bright to match the current faded paint.
You will need some flexiable agent added to the paint as you are painting plastic, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Quote from: rossmthompson197 on October 05, 2015, 09:41:07 PM
Hi folks,

Stoopid question probably but I just can't track down an answer... does anyone have a paint code for the QV green piping on the bumpers of a 1987 Sprint??

It's not paint?!
It's a green plastic strip that inserts into the bumper.
From memory the profile is a T shape.

I imagine (remember actually) that there is a 3M tape that is the correct colour that can be applied to the old plastic strip and the reinstated in your bumpers/side moldings.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

If it is a plastic strip, then try a panel beating/bodyshop supply place.
I needed a grey strip on the 33 and ended up getting one off ebay in America, had about 3 goes before i got the correct color, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Fetta GTV

I used t-mould that is used for restoring old archade machines.
It's not as dark a green as the original but as close as I could find.
Have heaps left over but not quite enough to do a whole car
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Fetta GTV

Some better pics
1979 Alfetta GTV

ian.jeffery48

It's good to hear there is a plastic moulding available (arcade machine repair). I would like to know where you can buy it although I live in Perth. In the absence of a suitable moulding I used paint to match a brand new rear bumper which was replaced after a rear-ending. The closest I could get off the shelf at Super Cheap Auto was "Australian Export - Emerald Green". After cleaning the strips with acetone I primed them with Septone Plastic Adhesion Primer, and then a few coats of colour. It seams to be holding up OK and was a cheap solution for someone with a small budget. Depends how accurate you want to be. Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian.jeffery48

Sorry, forgot to mention undercoat after primer. It was over a year ago when I did it. Ian

rossmthompson197

Thanks folks... I was thinking of painting a strip like you Ian. Fetta... where did you get the strip?? It looks awesome!!!

rossmthompson197

Answering my own question ... these guts have it.... http://www.diyarcade.com.au/16mm

Fetta GTV

Here is the link to where I got mine, could not find correct size locally

http://www.t-molding.com/3-4in-green-t-molding.html

The 16mm is a little small
1979 Alfetta GTV

ian.jeffery48

I got some of the 18mm stripping from T-Moulding in the USA. I found that the leg of the T doesn't grip the recess the same as the original mouldings as the section is not quite as wide. Not sure how to overcome that problem apart from glueing it in place. Feta GTV - any advice?

Fetta GTV

I had the same problem in some places, it didn't quite clip in.
I used a hot glue gun and did a small dot of glue every 15cm or so.
Hold it in nice and solid.
1979 Alfetta GTV

ian.jeffery48

Thanks. I'll give it a go.