Duetto - Finally after 3 years

Started by EZEE, June 26, 2015, 07:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZEE

I have been meaning to update this forum on the progress of my 1967 "Duetto" Spider. I started a restoration thread all starry eye about 3 years ago and had visions of updating it all as i went. Well life took over and that didn't happen however we managed to get to the end just the same. In reality it was about 6 months ago. I have some final details to sort out like where the stickers under the front bonnet go and need to get a blanking plate on where the radio should be......and possibly the experts will tell me a few more but overall the car came out better than I expected. Drives superbly! I have a few pictures here and I hope to upload many more over the coming weeks.

I must thank everyone here who has offered help, advice and direction.

cheers
EZ

werdna

Congrats on the restoration.
It looks sublime!

Evan Bottcher

Wow, that's stunning! Congratulations.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

ItalCarGuy

Absolutely beautiful!  8)
Congrats!

105gta

Very nice!
I'm extremely jealous

Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

alfafarm

Great Work congrats question the handles on the seat backs my orig 67 does not have them   john

avi81n

Congratulations. Looks awesome.
No better encouragement for getting mine done!

EZEE

Thanks to all for the compliments - I have been looking through the photos (and there are lots) and I hope to post lots of bits and pieces of relevance in order to share. It will take time and if anyone is interested I can dig through to find specific photos if I have to. I post one now of the car the day I bought it. Looked OK - solid enough and complete. In the end I decided on a full restoration. An early post shows the car when we started here http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,8987.msg55924.html#msg55924

In a nut shell the plan was - back to original paint AR505 Farina White via bare metal (have I got this number right? I'm doing it from memory early morning). Rebuild/replace whatever needed to be (basically everything does, even if it it's refurbishing). use original parts where possible but in some cases (for ease) use repro. In the end not much is repo. Stray away from original floor (originally rubber) and use carpet and away from original interior (black vinyl) and use red leather - mainly for looks and comfort and its easily reversible. I wasn't trying to build a concours car but get close. A lot of hassles along the way, hard to find parts, doing stupid things (like selling hard to replace parts thinking I could re-buy later) but as I have said it is worth the end result.

Back when I started Duettos were already rarely seen around or in the classifieds but in the ensuing years it seems they have all but disappeared! I know they are out there in collections and what have you but I'd love to have people's opinions on how many are left here in Oz - especially Oz delivered cars. But I digress...

John ALFAFARM - yes those handles were there and we simply refurbished them.

any input from anyone on sticker placement under bonnet - someone have a picture of there?

Cheers

EZ

aggie57

It looks superb - congratulations!  The Duetto is one of the best 105's and white is the best colour for them.  IMHO of course!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Craig_m67

Congrats, Looks gorgeous. Especially the red on white.
I'm trying (not) to rush mine :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

alfafarm

Hi  Took a pic for you car is one owner know its history ,nose was damaged hence no peak will be fixed bonnet painted badly and repaired or replaced ,however stickers were masked .Car has black int no radio ever john

Craig_m67

That's where mine was too.
('66 RHD Aust. Del)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

EZEE

Thanks guys for the pics, really appreciate it a lot...I will take some engine shots today, wont apply the labels as I am having  along lazy lunch with lots of red wine!

cheers

Beatle

Those 'handles' on the seat would be seatbelt tethers I believe?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

EZEE

Those 'handles' on the seat would be seatbelt tethers I believe?

yep they are......but I didn't reinstate the belts....maybe I should have.....or got rid of these.

After so long little details simply get missed! I'll fix it....

cheers