AROCA Driver education photos Winton 28 Mar 15

Started by Stuart Thomson, March 31, 2015, 11:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

Here's a Flickr album of images from the Saturday.

If you want a digital copy of any of these I work on donations.  So you make a donation to a charity, in this case my 2016 Shitbox Rally team (Cancer Council) and I'll send you the digital image.

Images

Cheers
Stuart

As the day goes

Stuart Thomson

Link should be fixed now.

Please try again.

Cheers
Stuart

As the day goes

Nice photos. 8) Will make a donation tonight.

Geez, me going around the track (even though I was hopeless) has stirred something in the loins.

Potsie

Great Photos Stuart.

I'm in. Where do I make the donation ?

Potsie
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

Neil Choi

Interestingly, last night on the news, there was a headline news segment, rah, rah, rah, there is now a "big push" (due to Easter) by Vic gov for compulsory young driver training and even a free course for the new drivers.  Give me a break.  I think Vic gov and the general pubic are at least 20 yrs behind in terms of thinking.

We have been actively promoting and running a driver training for the club for well over 16 or 20 yrs now, look through the competition forum on all my posts.  All those who were involved then are still involved today.  The uptake by the club is only and disappointingly reasonable compare to its size of membership and the number of parents and driving enthusiasts around.

I had successfully encouraged two members for their kids to do our course when they were old enough to reach the pedals, ie 12 yo.  And they then did Circuit Training and sprints once 14 yo.  Now one with P's is a confident but "slow" driver and no need to go nuts as the driver can have fun on the track any weekend.

One driver education advice is to get rid of automagic cars, seen how many cars go through shop fronts because of pedal mistakes and automagic stops drivers thinking.  Or teach and practice left foot braking, you can't get it wrong and it is quicker and better balance of the car.

colcol

It must have been a thought bubble by the Goverment, give it a minute and it will go away.
I would like to see new drivers get their licences in a manual not an automagic, and then when they get their licence they can choose.
But how many car makers use manuals, not many, one of the drivers who did the driver safety event at Winton had a lot of trouble getting a manual hire car.
Anyway, most of the cars that go through shops are driven by elderly drivers in Camry's, as when the news bulletin has the story, i always check to see what sort of Camry it is.
A few years ago, one of the traffic police said that driver training only leads to drivers going faster on the road, as they think that they are racing car drivers, this is most likely because we are forced to use a racetrack, which is a safe way of having no traffic coming in the opposite direction.
Back in the 70's i did a Murcott safe driving course and we did it at an unused housing estate up near Ferntree Gully, these days that would be a no no, thats why its a racetrack only.
Keep up the good work Neil, your efforts will lead to someone being able to avoid that oncoming Camry, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Anyway, most of the cars that go through shops are driven by elderly drivers in Camry's, as when the news bulletin has the story, i always check to see what sort of Camry it is.

Col, why do you always get me started on Camry driver's? Anyway I do have a story. I sold a car recently to an elderly lady whose previous vehicle had a mind of its own. It decided to accelerate around a roundabout very quickly and up an embankment consequently writing itself off. Naughty car! What was it thinking? Thank goodness it happened in a quiet area and not a busy one, the consequences could have been disasterous. I questioned her about this incident and she claims that there must have been a fault with the vehicle and it wasn't her. Oh really!!!

When is the government going to grow some b--ls and do something about the elderly drivers that shouldn't be on our roads. I have been on test drives with people that would struggle to drive a mobility scooter let alone a motor car. As I said to one very elderly gentleman if mandatory testing was introduced after a certain age, if your driving ability was good you would have nothing to fear. He got a little angry and said there were more bad younger drivers on the roads than older ones. I think that most of these people are living in denial. You know the story, I don't go very far, I only drive slowly, I don't drive at night etc. That's all well and good but if you are losing your sight, reflexes and cognitive ability you should not be driving at all. >:(

Neil Choi

So Toyota and VW have the same auto acceleration fault.

Looks like the sales of Toyota's and Camry's will only go through the roof in the coming decades with the ageing population.
So where can I get a job as a Toyota car sales man.  There must be some form job satisfaction for me in this.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Neil Choi on April 06, 2015, 06:33:45 PM

So Toyota and VW have the same auto acceleration fault.

Looks like the sales of Toyota's and Camry's will only go through the roof in the coming decades with the ageing population.
So where can I get a job as a Toyota car sales man.  There must be some form job satisfaction for me in this.

You know what Neil, I sometimes feel very guilty selling one of these elderly drivers a new car. It really is the government's fault for not getting them off the roads, I'm only doing my job. :-[

Neil Choi

Seriously, I am looking for a job. Selling cars could be my thing.

As the day goes

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 06, 2015, 06:10:35 PM
You know the story, I don't go very far, I only drive slowly, I don't drive at night etc. That's all well and good but if you are losing your sight, reflexes and cognitive ability you should not be driving at all. >:(

My father in-law is 95.  Recently he drove up onto the curb, over a parking sign, through a sandwich board and ended up in a store front. Fortunately he missed pedestrians.  This follows a couple of other recent accidents.

He is in denial and gets angry to suggest that it is his "health" is failing.  Not helped by his children not will to tell him he should be not driving. Also he has a friendly doctor that does not help the situation.  Fortunately Vic Roads is not having any of this and said he has to go through driving school and eventually a driving test. He refuses to do so as he knows he wont pass and is waiting for the knock on the door to have his license revoked.  Thank goodness!