Social events

Started by Cupcake, September 20, 2014, 07:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cupcake

For my sins, I've been elected Social Convenor of AROCA Qld. So I've got to come up with some ideas for social events.

But being a democratic sort of guy, I'd rather hear what people like, rather than presume that everyone likes what I like. So thinking back, what were the best Alfa-related social events you've attended in the past (apart from 'big' events like Alfesta)?

To my mind, what people want is the opportunity to drive their cars in an enjoyable setting, so runs through the SEQ country side are paramount (correct me if I'm wrong). Where do you think the best places are to take 15-20 Alfas for a run?

And what other sort of social events do you think the club should put on? Things done in the past are observation runs, dinners, weekends away, go karting, etc. Any other ideas? I love to try something new.

bazzbazz

I love going for a spin up Mt Tamborine, especially in winter.

I always seem to enjoy driving through winding (not twisty) mountain roads but the more green & lush the better . . . .ohhhhh, I'm waffling . . . .DAMN! ,. . .where's my Meds ???

:o
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Darryl

A few old new things:

1) Been ages (barring those who were at Alfesta, who might be a bit over it) since we had a social nav run. Happy to help with setting one that isn't too "serious" and covers some interesting ground. Just a a way to make the drive more interesting...

3) Hills are all good - there is coast here you know... You can get to parts of it via interesting roads...

4) The Nanango cart track (South Burnett Cart Hire) run was fun and a more interesting track than "big cart track" while also being a "nicer" venue than Kingston park - but next time should probably make it just part of the trip and go somewhere scenic nearby for lunch etc. Stops the less competitive getting bored and the more competitive spending $ on rematches (and who sabotaged my cart the second run???).

5) A day run to Tewantin for the Noosa Historic Hill Climb. This is a great event for spectators (nice walk alongside track through national park and/or there is a shuttle bus between spectator points). The "track" is Gyndier drive - when it isn't closed for the event it's a public road - try it some time :) Maybe put *that* on/in a day run? Something to replace the run down to Speed on Tweed - since the demise of that event this is the closest thing... For those not so keen on motorsport adjourning to Noosa for lunch, shopping, beach, whatever? Usually a good assortment of club members and other Alfas running (Cowley, the Yandina Creek boys given its their local event, etc).

Just ideas - the more the merrier... anyone?

MD

Suggestions
Day trip to Leyburn in August.
http://www.leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/

Week end away at the Bunya Mountains. Block booking for accommodation

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/bunya-mountains/

Trip to best historic village in Queensland in Miles
http://mhv.org.au/

Self cater breakfast at the SEQ dams: Wivenhoe; Somerset; Moogerah

Alfa Club car display and promo in the park at Toowoomba during the carnival of flowers festival. Needs Council permit. Followed by lunch at the Wilsonton Hotel.
http://www.wilsontonhotel.com.au/

The odd attendance at a local restaurant is fine but remember that you could get there by bus. You don't need to be in a car club to do it.

Likewise going to the beach is also fine with family and friends but inevitably once you get near these areas they become car parks. If you are in a car club because you enjoy driving Alfas, you need open spaces to do it.

Day trip to the Kenilworth Cheese Factory Sunshine Coast.
http://www.coolum.com.au/display_listing.asp?id=576&catid=229

If you implement this stuff you will either get the Great Gong Award for bravery or be given a box of Laxetttes disguised as after dinner mints for your gratification. Beware of smiling gift givers..

Finally, don't be shy and contact regional members and ask THEM to structure a local activity for you and you just make sure it happens. Creates better local membership appreciation and opportunity to participate. Qld is a big place and not all members attend regular meetings and so an opportunity to be part of Club activities is important not only for respect but participation as well.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Cupcake

I'm liking the way this thread is forming. Thanks for the ideas so far, and if anyone else has any other ideas, please let us know!

Giulia65

Congrats of the appointment - Best job in the club apart from barn-find coordinator!

Love to get to as many club social runs as possible, but sometimes work, family duties & a lack of accumulated brownie-points get in the way of going to an all-day Alfa event  Sometimes, just an hour or so of cruising around Brisbane in the Junior is all I can get to maintain the spirit :) Be great to encourage other submarine members out with a quick jaunt in our cars....

Does anyone think that a regular "Quick Sunday Drive" might appeal to members?  Thinking here of anyone who's available and keen assembling somewhere that can furnish the necessary caffeine supply on either north/south-side (alternating?)  at a reasonable hour on a Sunday morning and then head off on a set route for approx. 1-2 hour drive on a nice road somewhere keeping up with other Alfa tragics. 

The north-side circuit from The Gap > Mt Nebo > Samford Village always gets my vote.

Cheers, C