selespeed overflow

Started by Blue Daimler, August 30, 2014, 06:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Daimler

hi everyone one as the name suggests I did have a Daimler and it was blue. Sadly it never hit the road.
I bought a 2001 Selespeed 156 Twin Spark just a month ago. It seem to be spurting gearbox oil out through the tube when I have stopped.
My first Alfa and I love it. I should have bought one sooner and I may not have bought the Daimler as a project. Lovely to drive and I love the feel of her. Can anyone tell me what problem I may have?

colcol

Hello Blue Daimler, sorry to hear about your problems with the Selespeed, if you post this in the 147-156-166 section, it will get more responses, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

+1 Mick.  From memory you check the level of the selespeed fluid while the system is pressurised (e.g. open the drivers door, the pump will run and then stop) but fill only to the line on the little plastic dipstick.  This is actually quite low in the reservoir, accounting for the fluid under pressure in the system.  If you top up the reservoir much above the fill line, it will overflow when the car is left to rest and de-pressurise.

Happened to me at least once when I had a Selespeed, no harm done.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Blue Daimler

Thanks everyone. I filled the reserve as per manual. Once the vehicle stopped and I checked the oil again (when cold and the ignition on) it is down to the min line. Is there any other know faults that people know about?
I'm really pleased with the vehicle and I did a fair bit of research re the yr of the Alpha so know I could have problems but the vehicle is so lovely I'm willing to put up with the faults that may pop up.

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Blue Daimler

How do I post in 156 section colcol? I am still trying to get around the site developed by you guys.

colcol

Go to 932 section and click and get into the section and then click new topic and post, you will get more responses, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Blue Daimler

Blue Daimler

Hi everyone we'll I have followed all the advice and I'm still getting gearbox oil spilling out. I have made sure the gearbox is not overfilled but it still comes out. I have been looking on the internet and it appears I can have one of a few problems. Has anyone got some advice as to what may be the problem?

bazzbazz

Blue, You ARE filling it correctly, and you most likely DO have a very common problem.

You probably have a spilt in the rubber diaphragm of the Accumulator, the big black ball on the Selespeed Actuator, it holds the pressure to operate the actuator.

It works by having a rubber bladder inside that inflates with fluid from the pump under pressure, now sometimes the bladder develops a split which allows some fluid to get in behind the bladder. It still holds pressure, operates the actuator, but when the car stands for a period of time the fluid drains back into the Selespeed reservoir. Then the fluid BEHIND the bladder in the accumulator ALSO dumps back into the reservoir, causing it to overflow.

Basically your accumulator is on it last legs & you should see about getting a new one fitted.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Blue Daimler

Thank you much appreciated I will attend to it thanks again.  :)