Water Pump Replacement

Started by joestram, June 22, 2014, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joestram

Hi All,

I have been having ongoing over heating issues with my alfetta and now have the time to sort it out.

It was suggested that the issue I might be experiencing is related to the water pump. Normally I would just get the car to the mechanic, however, I think this time I want to attempt swapping it myself.

Is this something that a complete novice can do by themselves in one day?

What special tools does it require?

Are there any things that I will get stuck on (anything unexpected)

Can it be done from the top of the car or is the majority of the work done under the car?

Also, where do I buy a replacement water pump from for the 79 alfetta's?

Thanks guys.

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Alfapride

I recently went through similar issues in the end it's more economical to refurb your cooling system completely rather than dropping coolant every time you replace another. My issues was a blocked and rusted radiator which you can't tell the damage until it's removed and pulled apart. Most parts are available locally at Turin imports or the spare place but eBay has some good deals too. Best to fix the problem now before more serious engine damage is done! Removing the water pump is relatively straight forward just need a good socket and remove the belt from memory best of luck
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

festy

Replacing the water pump isn't a difficult job, but from memory you have to remove the crank pulley to clear one of the studs, which is easiest done after removing the radiator....
Just make sure you clean the sealing surface well before fitting the new pump.
and there were a few different pumps for the alfetta, a '79 would have a one piece pulley and no tacho drive, I found ebay UK to be the cheapest - about half the price I could get one locally if you can afford to wait a week for delivery.
The Haynes workshop manual explains the replacement pretty well, I can send you those pages if you need.

joestram

Fantastic guys - thanks for the responses.

Is there a need to remove the bonnet or can it be done with everything in tact?

Is the majority of the work done under the car or above the car?

Thanks

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone