Group C 2000GTV

Started by Chris Blanden, June 05, 2014, 04:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Blanden

Colin's unfortunate Targa experience has prompted this post.

A few will know I own the ex Brian Foley/Alfa Australia Group C 2000GTV. The highpoint of it's long and illustrious racing history was Derek Bell/Gary Leggatt winning class C and coming 8th outright at Bathurst 1977. The low point was me crashing on a Targa Tas about 14 years ago. A lengthy period of inactivity (by me) followed but finally the car has emerged from Tim Doyle's Zoo Automotive in NSW looking pristine, albeit in bare metal. Attached are before and after photos.

Andrew from Trackart has just built a lovely new cage, so just paint, mechanicals and stickers to go!

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

17fitty

WOW--- beautiful work--a coat of clear and some stickers--??

aggie57

Good to see the old girl coming back to life Chris.  Nice work.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

LaStregaNera

Wow, I was of the understanding all the group c and earlier historied 105 coupes had been written off... Good to see it's coming back to life!
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Neil Choi

Good on you Chris, always wonder what was going on with the car, after seeing it stored for years in the factory next to my project.

And in no way stealing the glory away from Chris, Bill Magoffin's Gp C Gil Gordon 105.  So they do exist.

alfagtv58

Great stuff Chris!  What ever happened to that Derek Bell bloke, never did do much else apart from that '77 Bathurst   :)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Spada

Thank you for bringing back another treasure and keeping the Bathurst Alfa history alive.

What livery will it come back as?
105 2L Group Sc Racer - FOR SALE
147 Twin Spark Racer - Converted to scrap metal
147 GTA - Racer build in progress
147 Twin Spark - Waiting to become a racer

Chris Blanden

After lots of thought and several changes of mind it will come back in its Bathurst '77 colours.

The car was originally white, quickly became red and ran with first Chesterfield, then Singapore Airlines sponsorship when running in the ATCC and up to Bathurst '75 (where it retired). It was given a rest in '76 and then repainted a darkish blue for Bathurst '77 where it ran with Ming as the main sponsor but support also from Singapore Airlines.

The other advantage of running this iteration (i have to pick a year for logbook and C of D purposes) is that I can keep it's mechanical specs the same (big brakes, panhard rod, rose jointed rear end, etc) rather than having to de-modify.

Evan Bottcher

And besides, EVERYBODY has a chesterfield 105 these days ;-)

Sounds like good reasoning to me. Can't wait to see it!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on June 16, 2014, 05:45:10 PM
And besides, EVERYBODY has a chesterfield 105 these days ;-)
hehe  ;D

I'd be doing it for no other reason than to be able to put Derek Bell's name on the side  8)
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hmd

Chris,

The obvious question no one is asking, WHEN?

alfagtv58

2009 159 JTS Ti

Chris Blanden

Caught out.

The real reason for the livery was to run #58 and to try to channel Derek Bell thru the name on the front guard!

As to the obvious question, there is a reason no one is asking (15yrs so far)! Hoping for early next year.

Paul Newby

Great to see this car coming back from the dead. I remember seeing it looking forlorn outside of Hugh Harrison's workshop back in 2006. It came pretty close to going to that scrapyard in the sky...  :-\
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout