Buying first Alfa, any tips?

Started by Scrofl, May 20, 2014, 04:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrofl

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying my first Alfa. I love the 80's look, so I have settled on buying an Alfetta GTV.
Is there anything I should look out for when looking at GTV's? I been told that older Alfa's are 'time bombs' and that its only a matter of time before everything goes wrong.

I'm in SA, and these are the two that I'm looking at:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woodside/cars-vans-utes/1978-alfa-romeo-gtv-coupe/1046452918

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-1980/SSE-AD-156657/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Thanks in advance :)

ItalCarGuy

Well firstly many people sledge Alfas without having ever owned one! >:(  As with any car of this age it requires the care and maintenance that it deserves. Joining your local Alfa club will be very worthwhile to be around people that love this marque and know the ins and outs. Mechanically I have to say the early alfettas are pretty simple. Watch for 2nd gear crunch (common), these are a transaxle so the gearbox is at the back and they driveshaft rubber donuts can take a beating so check they are in good condition. Do all the usual engine checks for compression, leaks etc. Heaps of spares around for these engines and Radelaide has a couple of the best local parts suppliers in The Spare Place and Turin Imports. And the one that can empty your pocket fastest is rust issues. Good bootlids and doors are harder to come by and sills can be very expensive to repair. That is a very loose, broad list that doesn't cover much but its a start! I would not buy an Alfa without having driven a good one first to compare and best to take someone with you that actually knows them intimately.

As for the two you show. The early steel bumper Alfas are generally worth more (the 6cyl GTV6 being the exception) I like the look of the first one, and the second one has been for sale for ages which always makes me suspicious.

Don't be scared off by them, but be educated and cautious

Duk

2 of the best things I think anyone should learn, who owns an older Alfa transaxle car:
1: How to double clutch you down changes.
2: How to do electrical work.

Even if the gearbox was overhauled twice in its life, it would still have 10 year old synchros. And they'd still be naff!

Same said for electrical fun!
Italians and electricity................... For some mental reason, Alfa Romeo refused to use things like easy and cheap to replace RELAYS to do all of the heavy current switching.
Headlights are a classic example. And in typical 'Italian logic (what ever that is  :o )', the low beams stayed on when the high beams were also switched on.
Given that all of the current that supplied the headlights had to go thru the switch gear on the steering column, it's easy for there to be 15+amps of current taking a long path to light up the headlights...................

If you are know how to do both listed above, or are prepared to learn both, then buy 1 and buy 1 quickly! You will enjoy a passion for driving that is hard to match (tho I think it can be matched)!
If you don't know how to do both and aren't prepared to learn, then buy something else.

Some years ago I owned a 1980 Giulietta, as a lowly paid apprentice. Keeping it running was half the fun (my only transport at the time). As was making minor improvements to her real world usability (relays for the headlights and starter, aswell as a transistor switched ignition).
If that car re-emerged in my life, despite owning newer and easily faster and 'nicer cars to drive', I would buy it! A place for it to live would be found, so that I could enjoy her again.

TimD

There are a few great mechanics in Adelaide also, who would check over the cars for about $100. I go to Mike at MAS, but there is also Eurosport and a few others.

I would jump on the early Alfetta, tidy it up and strip the bumpers. $2.5k is a ok price if there is no major rust and no major mechanical issues. But be aware you might need to budget some more cash to get it up to scratch, fluid change, brake pads maybe some suspension bushes etc.

My first car was a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, it was the second most reliable car I have owned. My second car was a 1985 Alfetta GTV, it was the most reliable car I have owned. I looked after them, and they looked after me. And like Duk, if I had the chance to by my Fiat again, I would.

MD

Scrofl

If you are mechanically challenged do not buy any Alfa.
On the other hand if you have a desire to learn and be rewarded for you effort, only buy an Alfa.

Not 100% true but you get my drift. :)

The Alfetta GTV's have many inherent faults like many cars of its time. Take note of all that has already been said. Remember there is nothing that cannot be fixed if you have the passion and the folding stuff to spend on it. Take it slowly and be sure you drive a good one first to see if the image fits the reality as Derek wisely suggested.

Half the joy of restoring any older Alfa is to hear the engines sing and the chassis talking to the driver unlike the cars of today that leave the driver decoupled from all sensation.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

VeeSix

Go all out and get a GTV6, dream drive, some people are putting I will never sell it dreamer prices on them these days but you should be able to get a good one for under $5000.00 if you hunt around, the V6 is fantastic and although it has fuel injection it is quite simple once you read up and understand it, nothing in the league if today's management systems   :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

alfa duk

Scrofi, all previous posts are true and valid.  I will make 3 suggestions to you.
If you don't plan on historic racing, find a later model, 81 on as the bodies have survived better and they are slightly cheaper.
Make sure it lives undercover.
Buy the best you can afford. Don't think that if you buy cheap, with the money you saved that will cover you. Your 2k car can become 6k once you get you "need to do" list.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Alfamania

As a general rule....just like previously mentioned: If you dont enjoy tinkering with cars then dont buy an old Italian car. Seriously it can be that bad! No kidding! Also, if there is no proper service history and if the previous owner looks like a tool then I suggest you walk away! Run in fact  :P
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

MD

Scrofl,

One key reason some of us are saying that you need to drive this car is that it is not especially suited to really tall drivers and the seating position takes some getting used to. In this case, size does matter. ;D

The throttle angle is the first hurdle. :)

This is aside from any "performance" considerations.....
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Duk

Quote from: MD on May 21, 2014, 08:22:11 AM
One key reason some of us are saying that you need to drive this car is that it is not especially suited to really tall drivers and the seating position takes some getting used to. In this case, size does matter. ;D

The 75s are a lot nicer here. I really enjoy the driving position of my 75. It's not quite perfect, I'd like the angle of the steering wheel (not the height) to be a touch more towards the vertical. They have the adjustable reach steering column and it makes all the difference.

Throttle angle is terrible, tho. But like so many things, changes can be made if you really want them.

Alfapride

Great cars! Love the shape and is well balanced with its 50-50 weight distribution buy an example with the best body possible minimal rust mechanicals is much easier to resolve...when you find your baby do the electrical upgrades already mentioned and fit b4 bolstein oem shocks and you'll be in heaven enjoy
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Darryl

Quote from: MD on May 21, 2014, 08:22:11 AM
Scrofl,

Of course if the first car you ever bought was an Alfetta GT (basically, a really early GTV) and you are 193cm you simply think the driving position in all other cars is odd  :P. IMHO a small dished or with a long adapter/spacer steering wheel in a GTV gives the "correct" position if you are tall. I agree with whoever suggester a later plastic bumper car for (obviously depending on how the car has been treated) as the easiest way of avoiding some of the more severe rust issues. That said a well looked after/restored steel bumper car is definitely more desirable - if you can find one...

Alfamania

the 75 has more power and better built than the rest of that era....Im selling my Alfa 75 3 litre V6. Check it out here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-Alfa-75-1989/SSE-AD-2754996/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

brook308

Quote from: Alfamania on May 27, 2014, 11:52:38 AM
the 75 has more power and better built than the rest of that era....Im selling my Alfa 75 3 litre V6. Check it out here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-Alfa-75-1989/SSE-AD-2754996/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

I'm sorry but 75's make good donor cars for 116 gtv's, oh and they are also great paddock bashers but compared to a 116 gtv they are pretty ugly.

Some people think it, I just say it.

VeeSix

The GTV6 is definantly the winner in the looks department, with a grand prix kit of course, but the 75 is not far behind, with America bumpers of course, paddock basher, just about any cars a good paddock basher as long as it goes  :D
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV