Transmission Fluid Leak - Solutions Please!

Started by kiara, April 21, 2014, 10:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiara

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and been able to fix it at a small (or the smallest cost.

I have a 2001 model 156 selespeed it has only done 126,000km's and it is leaking transmission fluid into the gearbox. It drops back into neutral, it stalls and it won't get into gear when I turn it on when it is low on transmission fluid.

I have been told that there are two small seals inside the actuator that will (or should) be the cause of the problem and need to be replaced however I have been told you cannot buy them you must instead buy the whole actuator. I was quoted $3500 for the unit - I brought the whole car for only $3000 a year ago.

My main problem is I'm an 18 year old uni student who is no longer living at home therefore I have limited funds to be able to purchase large parts like a whole actuator. I love driving my little alfa it's such a great car but I do a lot of travel between Bendigo and Melbourne and it needs to be reliable so if I can't get this fixed I may have to sell it off which would be horrible!

Has anyone else had this problem and was this what had to be replaced? If so what did you do to have it fixed or were you able to get these seals anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Kiara

colcol

Hello Kiara, welcome to the forum, two places to try in your neck of the woods is Marranello Pursang Motors in Brunswick at 33 Colebrook road, talk to Bruno or Giancarlo or Il Bolide Rosso 610 high st Northcote, talk to Ettore or Gabrielle, DON'T take it to a normal mechanic or Auto Electrician, as the Selespeed needs special diagnostic tools and years of experience, which these places have.
Alfa 156 twin spark motors need a timing belt change every 3 years or 50,000 - 60,000 klms or whichever comes first, this is not negotiable as a failed timing belt will ruin the engine, and the oil to use is 10 - 40 fully synthetic racing oil, changed on time and never let it run under the MIN mark, check it every week, we had a workshop night for this model about a month ago at Alfaman in Footscray, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AgeG

I can strongly recommend Vince from Northern Alfa in Thomastown, if there is an efficient way to fix it he will find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse

AgeG

Sorry Vince number is 0417 105 102

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse

Alfamania

Yes definitely Vince is the man! The rest out there are a total ripp off!!!!
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port