Coolant loss

Started by washout39, December 29, 2013, 02:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

washout39

Hi Guys, have a Alfa 166 v6 which seems to have the coolant going walkabout at the moment, have checked all pipes, radiator, expansion tank, heater matrix and between the V on the engine but no sign of coolant. Have also checked the oil and exhaust but nothing their as well. Would anyone have any ideas since I am running out and the next step is looking grim (head gasket)  :-\

colcol

Check the oil, to see if it is contaminated with coolant, it will be like a milky sludge, you can buy a test kit to check for leakage in the coolant system, that will most likely tell you of presence of combustion material in the coolant.
The 166 is known for the heater leaking straight onto the engine computer, but the computer would have fried itself by now and you would notice the smell of coolant in the car and the wet musty carpets.
One of the Alfa Service providers here in Victoria, makes up a fix to stop the heater leaking onto, the computer, saving the computer from an early grave, sometimes the computers cost more than a 166, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfagtv152

Hi there,
If you have checked out what Colin said and you don't have water in the oil or oil in the water then it is probably the heater core as Colin said. Mine leaked but it was very slow and could only see small traces of coolant coming off the sub frame under the steering rack and could smell it when the heater was calling for heat but not all the time.Luckily I didn't get coolant in the car.
I bought a new heater core from ebay and then fitted it,that's the fun bit.You have to remove the false fire wall in the engine bay and remove every thing behind it until you get to the heater core which pulls out into the engine bay,That means all plastic trim,heater fan,air con evap and wiper components.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Mick A

Hello Washout.

Don't rule out the radiator just because you can't see water dripping.
If it is leaking in the core it evaporates before you ever see it.

Best advice you can get here is to take the car to your mechanic I think.

Cheers. - Mick

colcol

Take it to an experience Alfa Romeo Service Provider, who will know what to look for and has most likely fixed it before, franchised Service Centres, only know mainstream cars, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

howe155

i have this experience on my 156 V6 as well especially driving on a hot day with AC blasting max. its like almost every 5000km you can see the expansion tank drop from max to min. the more you fill in the expansion tank (i mean beyond max line) the faster it drops to min or even pass min. temperature gauge runs hotter than normal too (usually mine runs at 70C +/-) when at fault its running closer and closer to 90C

this problem stop when i change my radiator. my aluminum rad is leaking slow from the sides which is impossible to spot unless taken apart.

Past
MX3 V6 | 325CI | Accord LX | Civic LX | 155 TS 16V
Present
156 V6 Q | Toyota Wish MPV

poohbah

Quote from: howe155 on February 16, 2014, 06:31:34 PM
temperature gauge runs hotter than normal too (usually mine runs at 70C +/-) when at fault its running closer and closer to 90C

Howe155, your motor should be running close to 90C most of the time, that's what the thermostat is for. Col will know better, but I think if it is consistently running at lower temps, you can ruin the catalytic converter which can cost several grand to replace.

I also have V6 156 (magnifico), and recently had the thermostat changed specifically because gauge consistently showed motor at around 75C except in stop start traffic. Now sits around 85 in highway running, and 90 in peak hour. Fan should come on as soon as it gets over 90, and will turn off again once it gets just under.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

colcol

If your radiator is leaking, then replace it, a new one is not too expensive, have a look on ebay, they are not worth repairing, your car should run at 90c, and in the traffic about 95c-100c, and should take about 4 kilometres to get to 90c, if you replace the thermostat, your car will run hotter and the pressure will build up in the cooling system and then your radiator will leak more.
Engines need to warm up as quick as possible, as most engine wear takes place when cold and the engine running hot is good for emisions and fuel consumption, Colin.

howe155

Quote from: colcol on February 16, 2014, 09:50:24 PM
If your radiator is leaking, then replace it, a new one is not too expensive, have a look on ebay, they are not worth repairing, your car should run at 90c, and in the traffic about 95c-100c, and should take about 4 kilometres to get to 90c, if you replace the thermostat, your car will run hotter and the pressure will build up in the cooling system and then your radiator will leak more.
Engines need to warm up as quick as possible, as most engine wear takes place when cold and the engine running hot is good for emisions and fuel consumption, Colin.

thx Colin,

i have always suspected my stat stays wide open. for mine it takes more than 4km to heat up to 90C.
for now i will run my car without A/C turn on till its hot in the 90C. poor driver like me has to soak in the hot and humid for my bella to stay minimal wear and tear.... LOL
Past
MX3 V6 | 325CI | Accord LX | Civic LX | 155 TS 16V
Present
156 V6 Q | Toyota Wish MPV