wolf steel repair panels

Started by Sam, November 29, 2013, 12:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

hi folks
Has anyone had any experience with Wolf Steel?  /http://alfaparts.net/
With the Canadian dollar comparable to ours, the overall costs come much cheaper than the others.

I asked them how well the parts fit,   following is their response....
The parts are handmade, so there is going to be some fitting to get them perfect. We do leave a bit of extra metal for room to adjust things where applicable.

they seem like nice folks.
thoughts ?

Cool Jesus

I almost bought some panels. So no help there, but they were easy to deal with and communicative. as you said. Interested to see if you go ahead as I'm still contemplating some floor panels for my Alfetta.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Davidm1600

From what I have previously read, and I have little first hand experience, I have heard that the panels from Classic Alfa, Alfaholics and Highwood are of a better fit/quality, so if correct less corrective surgery required, which equates to cost of repairs.

In the end it is not just about the upfront cost of a part.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Craig_m67

Everything I'd read says avoid as final cost to fit will be higher.

That's said, nobody has the rear (.upper) parcel shelf for the Duetto/spider and this box section most always rusts out.  I bought two(both upper) panels from wolf as I figured I'd be making the anyway.

Communication was great
Delivery was excellent
Price was reasonable ($100./ all up)
Panels are okay, for hand made approximations

They do not reflect the original design at all and will need fettling, mind you so would anything in made.

I wouldn't use them where reproductions are available. I have bought lots of those too from all the usual suspects and they are much, much better.  No wasted time (money) making the fit. Clamp and spot weld. OEM is best if you can find it, seems thicker... Has alfa stickers :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Sam

sounds like good advice , ill go for Alfaholics.
Thanks for your help everyone
Sam

Craig_m67

Quote from: Sam on November 29, 2013, 09:55:42 PM
sounds like good advice , ill go for Alfaholics.
Thanks for your help everyone
Sam

Depending upon the panel you are buying..(what are you buying).. You will find that alfaholics, classic Alfa EB spares, Highwood, bertlesbeck, AFRA, amongst others.... Are all supplying the same thing.

Make a list of what you need and shop that around, what you can save on freight will make the biggest difference
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

LaStregaNera

Wolf Steel, to give them credit where credit is due,  were supplying repair panels for these cars *long* before the stamped panels became available in the mid 2000s.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

gebe1

For what its worth..... I'm restoring a 73 built Spider ( Aust Delivery) . I ordered a front beaver ( inferior valance ),  spare wheel well and LHS floor pan from Classic Alfa.  Upon fitting,  I found the following....

Front Beaver panel was too SMALL, so I had to add wedges on either side. Edges of metal very sharp, need filing.

Spare wheel well was too BIG, so had to cut out vertical sections in opposing sides push in and weld up.

The floor pan was best prepared and fitted reasonably well, albeit a very big job if your contemplating this !

Communication with ClassicAlfa was excellent, delivery also superb ! I agree with others on the forum, check your delivery prices and ill fitting parts will also add to repair bill considerably !!!
73 Alfa Spider veloce
67 Alfa Guilia Super (past)
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
74 Alfa Berlina 2000A (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

105Veloce

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'll need some panels for my 1750 GTV. Are there any good places in Melbourne for body parts or is buying them online the only option?
Thanks in advance
Luke
'70 1750 GTV restoration project

Davidm1600

My experience is in the past that even if they are available, the cost for parts mostly works out cheaper from overseas, delivery time is not a problem, most parts arriving in less than a week. However, I guess in more recent times as the AUD has devalued, that perhaps the cost differential is not as good as it used to be.  I am not sure who might be able to supply panels here, you could try checking out the AROCA club website/magazine sponsors to see if any do. 

In Melbourne, I am pretty sure that Milano Spares can get panels, though who they get them from ??
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Balfa

I'm just going through the process of fitting wolf steel front and back floor panels in my 2000 GT Veloce and I'm happy with how they look so far. Admittedly I'm no expert with these things.

I've attached a progress picture of the panels tacked in.