Opinions on this Giulia please

Started by Craig_m67, October 18, 2013, 03:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Can we discuss this car, I really like the look of it!
Seems relatively good value to me if it has minimal rust... What do we think?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-1969/SSE-AD-2363662/?Cr=7&sdmvc=1

I don't want to bother the owner directly (unless they're a member) as this would be a retail therapy purchase, ie could go either way depending upon the next shiney thing I see.  I'm getting bored of the 156JTD Sportwagon and looking around for something else to drive whilst the Duetto settles into its role of garage art.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

ItalCarGuy

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=11304.0

I do know it has a 1600 (00526) engine in it. So not the original engine but I prefer the 1600 over the 1300 personally. Rare early Ti grille. Scott would take it off your hands for the Ti Super look though!

Craig_m67

cheers Derek !

I wonder how much rust it has, if any.
And if it would get roadworthy/rego easily (ie. without any effort at all on my part)
That would be the clincher

I could use the 1600 for the Duetto and throw the Twinspark or Scotts 2L in this... Hmmm, anybody want to buy a 156JTD :)

ItalCarGuy

Yeah you could put the TS in it and your GTA reps and have some fun!

I'm guessing you have a glass of wine in front of you at the moment too?...

Craig_m67

Cup of tea, boys night in ...
... Have pinged the owner.

Should it have those delicious spears on the front indicators, and damn, that picture with the white nose has basically sold it to me.

... Who wants a 1.9JTD 156 Sportwagon, to fund this folly ?

pancho

Derek you nasty enabler. Factor in transport to QLD and rego - it'a an additional ~$1500 on the price.

Hows the duetto coming along Craig ?

Craig_m67

Quote from: pancho on October 18, 2013, 06:13:20 PM
Derek you nasty enabler. Factor in transport to QLD and rego - it'a an additional ~$1500 on the price.

Hows the duetto coming along Craig ?

He really wouldn't have to push too hard. 
Shipping and rego are opex, i can man math that, rust and dodgy mech isn't.

I've no idea what these are worth (derek?), imagine they can only go up.  Is this a desirable model?

Re the Duetto, I've gotten rid of the 156 parts car I so have room in the shed again, hoping to pull the engine/g'box etc in the next fortnight, hang it in my rotisserie and send to the blasters shortly, I need to get it in epoxy before it corrodes away.

ItalCarGuy

I will say the 1300 Ti is not the most desirable but really there isn't much between them in terms of trim, finish and performance. It is a bit of a bitza with Super door cards and the sill spears weren't on the Ti either I dont think. The owner has remedied this though with the awesome Ti grille. The cool side indicator spears where just on the early Ti and Supers up til about 68.

If it has a good body then I would say it is definitely worth it. Mech is a breeze compared to dodgy sedan bodywork!

Craig_m67

Where's the best place in Brisbane to get a sympathetic road worthy for registration ?

Davidm1600

Guys yes I think for the current price around $8K it is actually a bargain. Sure it is a bit of a bitza but that kind of also is appealing.  Think Squadra non originale  8)

Derek is right in that it has the desirable grill and 4 headlight setup of the earlier Giulia Super rather than the two headlight version of the 1300 Ti.  BTW the 1300 TI is quite a rare model out here in Aus, my brother has one but seriously there are far more Supers around.  The instrument panel is lovely and in some way nicer than the Supers.  Sure the Ti didn't come with carpet but that can be always added.  With the early door cards that too me also is a bonus.

Trust me, speaking from experience, which I know Derek can confirm to get a decent driver Giulia Sedan is normally going to cost a packet more if you are restoring one.  I would buy this one in a flash if I had the dosh (which I don't) and flog my project, as I know just how much mine is going to cost to finish.  Basically far too much.  This one looks pretty decent. 

The guy who has this one posted it on the Turbo 124 forum and noted that he bought it on a whim but has decided he doesn't like it in red and really wants a GTV, hence he is trying to flip it.  The price has come down a number of $k since he first tried selling it.

Don't replace the 1600 with a twinnie, keep it and enjoy it for what it offers.  There is nothing wrong with a nice 1600, and they sure are better than the original 1300 !!  All the best if you get it, as anyone who knows, knows that Giulia Sedans are seriously cool.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Craig_m67

It's only of any value if i can make informed judgement on the condition of the body work, as those of us who are restoring cars well know... The price of a car that needs body work, is just admission.

I'm in contact with the seller, however would absolutely need to establish if it would pass road worthy for rego in QLD without effort (other than mech.).  The price is fine, might eat into the Duetto budget a bit but who's counting.

It does look charming, and a bitsa if the resources on Derek's website are anything to go by.  I'm not really a squadra originali guy anyway so not fussed.

I assuming Dunlop brakes, cable clutch, four speed box.

Where are the obvious rust traps in this body style?

ItalCarGuy

Should be 5 speed, ATE and hydraulic clutch. Rust: sills of course but the lower panels behind the rear wheels are the worst on a Giulia. They don't repro the inner skin on these. Radiator cross member is worth checking, and generally anywhere else around the skirt. Around the windscreen and rear can go if they had dodgy rubbers.

I don't have a problem with bitzas either btw! Just look at the condition I drove my car in for years!

Davidm1600

Quote from: Craig_m67 on October 18, 2013, 08:30:25 PM
It's only of any value if i can make informed judgement on the condition of the body work, as those of us who are restoring cars well know... The price of a car that needs body work, is just admission.

I'm in contact with the seller, however would absolutely need to establish if it would pass road worthy for rego in QLD without effort (other than mech.).  The price is fine, might eat into the Duetto budget a bit but who's counting.

It does look charming, and a bitsa if the resources on Derek's website are anything to go by.  I'm not really a squadra originali guy anyway so not fussed.

I assuming Dunlop brakes, cable clutch, four speed box.

Where are the obvious rust traps in this body style?

I agree whole heartedly about the bodywork and of course given the Giulia is in SA and I am in Tassie I can only go on the photos and/or description.  But on that basis alone I would tend to think given how straight it looks, the quality of the paint, that rust is unlikely to be an issue.  Of course you can never fully tell and the best thing is to get it on a hoist and inspect underneath, let alone in the boot, under the doors etc.

Even if you can't do this yourself, perhaps someone on the forum who lives in SA (Adelaide ??) might be able to do that for you.  I would tend to suggest that if the body is fine, then this one is definitely a bargain as I previously commented on.  As anyone who has gone through a bodyworks restoration will know to do this correctly is easily going to consume more than the current purchase price of $8300. 

If the rest is as good as it looks then seriously I would be getting on the ph and closing the deal.  Really nice Giulias are only going up in value, and at this price it makes a lot of sense.  GTs/GTVs/Spiders in this apparent condition are going to cost a lot more.

In terms of typical rust, apart from what Derek advised, and I can see from the Carsales site, it has carpet, the floors next to the cills, also the ridge on the rear side guard where it meets the rear doors, door bottoms, jacking points etc, even sometimes the boot well.

The trim inside this car looks pretty tidy, the door cards and furniture are from an earlier Super, the steering wheel is also non correct for a Ti, but its fine.  As mentioned the grill is a beauty and very valuable these days, so even though not correct for a Ti I personally wouldn't change it. 

Strange that it has a 1600 but with single carb.  Normally 1600s come with Twin Webbers.  As Derek mentioned yes 5 speed, as all 105s came with this.

Good luck with it, if you can get it and don't forget to send Barry Edmunds the detarils for entry on his Register.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Barry Edmunds

My two cents on this car for what it is worth. I have seen 2 different adverts for this car, one listing it as a Giulia 1300 Ti and the other as a Giulia Ti. Before any interested party starts thinking about handing over their hard-earned I'd suggest proper confirmation and full disclosure from the seller about what model it actually is and what, if any, mods have been made by PO's.
If it is a 1300 Ti how come it has 4 headlights and a one-piece grille, why does it have a 1300 Ti badge on the bootlid? If it really is a Giulia Ti then it is not a 1969 model as they had long since disappeared by that late stage. The car does have the dash instruments for a 1300 Ti. All 1300 Ti's were single headlight models with a 3 bar grille. The much later 1300 Supers had 4 headlights and 5-bar grille. If it really is a 69 model it should have ATE brakes.
BTW the car is listed on the Giulia Super Register as a 69 1300 Ti.
At the risk of being a tad cynical, at my age it is permitted, I would certainly want a lot more information and answers before I'd even make an offer for this car based on the adverts.
Barry

ItalCarGuy

Yeah Barry it is a 1300Ti with a Super engine