Timing belts on 83 sud ti

Started by sudonthemend, September 09, 2013, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudonthemend

Hi all, I'm away to brave changing my timing belts on my sud and just wondering if anybody can through a few handy pointers my way on the best way?
I have the Haines manual but I am just a bit concerned about not being able to lock the cams in place.
I have them all marked and ready to go but just thought I would get some pointers before I begin!!

Cheers Shane

Ps I have engine and gearbox out and just wondering if I should check anything else while I'm at it??
All information would be most appreciated!!
Alfasud Ti QV 1983

Ray Pignataro

replace waterpump and cambelt tensioners at the same time

colcol

Use good quality brand name tensioners, most with brand names that are unknown are rubbish, i know because i have seen them, they have loose bearings and they are starting to leak grease.
Best to use genuine Alfa Romeo tensioners, but doubt whether you can buy them now and they would be $200 each?, just use a good brand.
Used a reasonably known tensioner on the Sud [Breda] and after 4 years was making metalic noise, it was due to be changed and the grease had leaked out and the bearing was dry, could have seized and worn the belt out causing a disaster.
The belts all seem to be good, ie Pirelli, Gates, Goodyear, Bosch, Isoren, etc.
When installing the belts, first instal tensioner and spring and 'nip up' nut with the tensioner pushed away from the belt so its not touching belt, this will make it easier to install belt.
Install belt on crankshaft, the crankshaft must be on Top Dead Centre then install belt on camshaft pulley, put 19mm or 3/4 inch ring spanner on camshaft pulley nut and turn pulley slightly so that the notches line up on the camshaft and camshaft housing.
Then using 17mm ring spanner on pulley tensioner loosen off slightly nut so that the tensioner touches the belt then 'nip up' tensioner nut, do the same for the other belt on the other side.
Make sure that the crankshaft is on Top Dead Centre, the no 1 piston should be highest at the top of its stroke then check that both camshaft notches line up with notches on camshaft housing.
The camshaft notches don't always line up properly but usually within a couple of degrees, you just don't want them 15 degrees out.
Then with some bravery pills taken put big socket on crankshaft pully and slowly turn crankshaft in a clockwise direction feeling for any valve to piston collisions if you feel something touch and then lock turn crankshaft back anti clockwise.
If you turn crankshaft clockwise and everything feels good then turn crankshaft a few times to centre belts and remove any backlash.
Now here is the important piece they don't tell you, turn crankshaft clockwise until on one bank all the valves are closed and there is no valve spring tension on the belt, loosen the tensioner nut slightly so that the pulley can move then tension the nut pulley with no valve spring pressure on the belt, tension the nut to the specifications, [i think it is 35 ilbs per sqaure inch], but i could be wrong, some people use loctite on the nut and some don't i always do as i have a huge respect for loctite, then turn the motor over slowly feeling for any lockups or tight bits.
Then turn the motor clockwise with the crankshaft pulley until the other bank has all the valves closed and there is no valve spring tension on the other belt then tension the nut on the opposite bank that you previously tensioned.
Now you turn the motor clockwise a few times checking for lockups or tight spots also check that the camshaft notches still line up with the notches on the camshaft housing when the no1 piston is at Top Dead Centre, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Put the camshaft cover back on and make sure the covers are not too dented and damaged and would rub on the belts, make sure you have adequate clearance at the bottom around the engine mount at the bottom, its a lot easier to put the cambelt gaurds on now rather than when the engine is in the car.
When installing engine, watch for hitting the belt covers on the radiator support as the will rub on the belts.
The belts and the tensioners should be changed every 4 years or 60,000 klms or whatever comes first, this will be your chance to laugh and ridicule 147 and 156 twin spark owners who have to change their belts and tensioners every 3 years or 50,000 klms....bloody Fiat motors, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

If the engine is more than 10 years old i would replace the front and rear crankshaft seals.
And put in a new clutch, when ever the gear box comes out, as it is sitting there, split the  gear box and engine and put in a new clutch assembly, Colin.

Ray Pignataro

Col the only other thing I wild suggest is take the spark plugs out first

colcol

Yes take the spark plugs out first or the rags you stuffed in the spark plug holes, as when the piston goes down and sucks the rag in they are hard to fish out, Colin.

sudonthemend

Thank you all for the feedback! I will change the tensioners and the water pump! But the clutch looks new so not going to worry about that just now!

Will keep you posted on my progress which will be slow just now as I'm waiting on parts!!

Thanks again for your knowledge

Shane / sudonthemend
Alfasud Ti QV 1983