Coolant recommendation?

Started by f1fascination, September 09, 2013, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1fascination

Hi all, does anyone have a recommendation for coolant to run in my 1973 GTV 2000?
The head is new and the block flushed of all nasties so I want to keep it that way!
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000

Steve S

Either Nulon or Penrite HOAT (hybrid), green coloured will do the job. These are replacing traditional Type A coolants.

Mick A

You want a Corrosion Inhibitor then, not Coolant.

Penrite Corrosion Inhibitor seems to do the trick.

And you only need 500ml to treat 10L of water. (which is roughly what the cooling system holds).

Cheers.
Mick.

Colin Byrne

if your not worried about below freezing conditions then there is really no need to run a glycol based coolant, in fact glycol substantially reduces the heat transfer coefficient of the cooling medium (so it actually does more harm than good). 
We've just started to run redline water wetter in our the cars, haven't done any serious testing with it yet but the technical paper about it is pretty interesting reading

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Steve S

Quote from: Colin Byrne on September 18, 2013, 08:26:59 AM
if your not worried about below freezing conditions then there is really no need to run a glycol based coolant, in fact glycol substantially reduces the heat transfer coefficient of the cooling medium (so it actually does more harm than good). 
We've just started to run redline water wetter in our the cars, haven't done any serious testing with it yet but the technical paper about it is pretty interesting reading

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Water wetters are great for the original purpose they were designed for, i.e. racing. I would advise adding it to any other coolant unless it is well documented to be OK as the wrong mixture can cause gelling. I've read 1st hand horror stories about adding WW to normal Glycol coolant.

I think Glycol based coolant is better suited for most vehicles. It is very compatible, lasts a long time and adds protection by also increasing the boiling point. A traditional Type A coolant should really be used here, but these new HOAT coolants are fast replacing them. If you just want corrosion protection without glycol, Type B coolants can be used. They are cheap and easily available. SCA has one for $6 a jug which will be fine.

Colin Byrne

Water wetters are great for the original purpose they were designed for, i.e. racing. I would advise adding it to any other coolant unless it is well documented to be OK as the wrong mixture can cause gelling. I've read 1st hand horror stories about adding WW to normal Glycol coolant.

I think Glycol based coolant is better suited for most vehicles. It is very compatible, lasts a long time and adds protection by also increasing the boiling point. A traditional Type A coolant should really be used here, but these new HOAT coolants are fast replacing them. If you just want corrosion protection without glycol, Type B coolants can be used. They are cheap and easily available. SCA has one for $6 a jug which will be fine.

Fair enough Steve, i wasn't suggesting adding it to the glycol though. 
I still don't see the benefit of running glycol in the cooling system if your not worried about freezing conditions and you can get corrosion protection with something else?  at 50% gylcol your only increasing the boiling point by 7degC, surly it is better to improve the heat transfer capabilities of the system so you never get to the boiling point?

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Steve S

Quote from: Colin Byrne on September 18, 2013, 10:23:21 AM
Fair enough Steve, i wasn't suggesting adding it to the glycol though. 
I still don't see the benefit of running glycol in the cooling system if your not worried about freezing conditions and you can get corrosion protection with something else?  at 50% gylcol your only increasing the boiling point by 7degC, surly it is better to improve the heat transfer capabilities of the system so you never get to the boiling point?

All valid points and either method can be used at the end of the day, each has pros and cons. I guess I'm on the other side of the fence to you. I don't see any real benefit for the average motorist using WW if coolant will do the job adequately and cost less.  I did suggest using a type B coolant after all.   

Increasing the heat transfer capabilities is all well and good, you can do that by increasing the circulation rate/velocity also. Boiling point elevation is also of tangible benefit if it were ever required. These are mutually exclusive properties not substitutes.

I wanted to point out the risks of adding it to a glycol coolant as Redline does not discourage doing so. IMO a Glycol/WW mixture is risky and pointless. It is not a good use of either product, and that's my main beef. WW has a place but it has somehow leveraged that good reputation to become just another miracle additive. We don't need to get one up on the manufacturers' engineers when the original specification is more than adequate.

Mick A

So did you guys figure out who's cock is bigger then?

Beatle

I used the small tins of Castrol corrosion inhibitor for years with no negatives.  Readily available (now wrapped-in-plastic), easy to carry as spares in the boot, just mix with dist water from the ironing aisle of your local supermarket. 
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Choderboy on September 18, 2013, 02:13:43 PM
So did you guys figure out who's cock is bigger then?

We all agreed you're the biggest cock, Choderboy.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal