Sprint washer pump

Started by Smudge, August 15, 2013, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smudge

Hi Guys,

Just purchased my '85 Sprint and am trying to prepare it for rego.
One job that needs doing is the washer pump for the windscreen.
Firstly, the inlet to the pump has broken and despite a few attempts at gluing it, I've had no luck.
Seems the easiest option is to buy some form of universal pump.
Problem is, the current pump is earthed OK (beneath the mount itself) but there is no connection to power.
Can anybody tell me where it is supposed to be wired to ? I have a workshop manual on order but it's coming from the UK so could be a while.

Many thanks
Anthony
'05 Alfa 147 TS Manual
'85 Alfa Sprint w/1.7 16v
'99 Italjet Dragster 180

colcol

Go to Repco and get the nearest replacement pump they have, usually i would say, look on ebay, but you need one ASAP for a roadworthy,, don't worry too much about the wiring, if you connect it backwards, the pump will run backwards, just reverse the wires if this happens, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Smudge

Thanks Colin.
The problem is that there is no lead/wire connected to the '+' and no obviously unused or spare wiring in the vicinity of the pump.
Might just get a pump and have the inspecting mechanic wire it up prior to the test.
'05 Alfa 147 TS Manual
'85 Alfa Sprint w/1.7 16v
'99 Italjet Dragster 180

colcol

The + positive wire will most likely exit through the right hand side firewall where it will be part of the wiper wiring loom, or it could be anywhere on the right hand side of the engine bay, just look for a wire thats not doing anything.
I could tell what color it is but Alfa Romeo wiring looms are famous for not being consistant, some even change color from one end to the other and they change color with the heat of the engine bay.
Just activate the washer switch and with a test light see which blank wire lights up.....thats assuming those crappy combination switches are working....which if its older than 1 year it most likely isn't.
One of the things they improved on the 33 over the Sud, the series 3 Alfasud and late model Sprint had the same combination switches....have spent hours rebuilding them, not so with the 33, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sheldon McIntosh

Get a manual here... http://www.alfa-service.com/modx/index.php?id=33    I haven't looked at the Sud one from here, but I used the 33 one from here and it was certainly usable.

Isn't the fusebox pretty close to that pump?  See if there is an unused block with + to it, and use that, or run a wire from a fuse that is rarely used, horn maybe?  Just don't use the horn and the washer at the same time.....

colcol

The Sprint mostly carried over the Sud wiring system, the washer pump wire could exit out of the right hand side firewall, but could also be down at the bottom of the engine bay on the right hand side, the Sud had a plastic washer bag on the right hand side bulkhead at the back of the strut tower, but the Sprint had a mixture of bags and washer bottles, as did the 33, Colin.