AROCA Winton Round 7 August 4

Started by Neil Choi, July 18, 2013, 09:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Attached are the SR and EF to AROCA Winton Round 7 on August 4.

We will be running the LONG TRACK and if enough interest, we will schedule some longer sessions for some 6 hr practise.

Looking forward to your entry.

Neil Choi

If you are considering entering, you best to do so now as I am getting rather busy especially with car preparations and would like to get all the paperwork and organization done as soon as possible.

Please help me to help you to have a good run at Winton.

Regards
Neil

Neil Choi

Final call for entries.

There is a moderate field which makes it great for all, so I can still fit late comers in.  There will be lots of runs.  Winton is usually a pretty good weekend.

6r hr practice for those wanting longer sessions.  Also a training group can be arranged.

Neil

Paul Gulliver

Only a few more sleeps until Winton. If you haven't been up there for a while here's a quick clip from Spencer Rice ( NSW) in his mighty little Group N GTV 2000 on the quick way around .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AexMtDFGSjk&feature=player_embedded

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

About 30 Alfa's entered for some valuable 6 hr practice.

Free entry to spectators, come up for a cruise drive via Yea and watch the Alfa's do battle with the MX5's.  It will be a great day.

Some extended sessions for some endurance practice.

Brad M

Thanks Neil and all those who ran the day, I had a blast and remembered what I was missing out on.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Evan Bottcher

What a great day!  The rain held off and the track stayed mostly dry.  Lots of laps were had, and we all got some great practice for the six hour.  I had a big off at turn one and have lots of smelly mud and grass to clean out of the Sud but no harm done.

Many many wonderful thanks to the crew who ran the day.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Ray Pignataro

Neil once again a fabulous day, always good fun starting to see some new faces which is good for the club,

Neil Choi

The weather was pretty much right on the money for a perfect day of Alfa sprinting.  Started a little damp but as the sun sneaked out, it warmed and the breeze dried the tarmac, just in time for fast runs following a cautious practice start.  Everyone behaved with the usual first run excitements. 

An UK kit car Ultima GTR with a Chev 6.2L V8 by Peter Knight was something to watch, he drove it rather cautiously as it was its first outing and still running the motor in.  The Alfa 156 of Paul Klisaris would be the prettiest and one with the most stickers.  Many brilliantly prepared 105's especially those of George Dragovitch and Adrian Dimauro along with the vast number of MX5's including two very quick and lightened ones.  A pair of Porsches with long time Alfa members of Alister Grigg and David Crump at the wheel.  The GTV6's of Claude Botti, Mick Aarons and Ben Thompson were giving heaps to Seby Mauceri in his hot 4 cylinders GTV TS.  Owner Evan Bottcher managed to beat Sheldon McIntosh by 6 thousandth of a sec to keep his pride and allow Sheldon to keep sharing the drive in the mighty Alfasud.  Paul Gulliver is winning all the way with his reliable GTV TS.  Of course the hottest class was racing U2L with Seby taking out the win followed by Gp S'er Hung Do.  Madman Steve Aarons got a cage and the GTV now handles like no tomorrow.  I managed to lightened my car on the track and showered everyone with bits and now will go no further.  But engine already out in an hour.

People to thank for a successful event are:

Stuart Thomson, Alan Hopla, Bruno Colautti, Paul Murphy Snr, Jessie Murphy, Barry Edmunds, Noel Goltz, Phil Aarons, Mick Aarons, Paul Byrne, the MMT flag marshals, all the scrutineers, the recovery crew and of course there is a whole bunch of people whom I have forgotten.

Thanks all officials and all competitors for making the day something to watch and enjoy.  Winton certainly makes a great weekend.

Cheers
Neil

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 05, 2013, 10:44:35 PM
I managed to lightened my car on the track and showered everyone with bits and now will go no further.  But engine already out in an hour.

Here's the remains of your bellhousing swept off the track... ouch!  On my video you can see Hung and myself weaving on the main straight to avoid a big chunk of cast alloy.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Unfortunately neither Dave or I could weave fast enough....damage on my car was limited to the soft front cover.  Dave wasn't so lucky, with a scratch on the left front guard.  Still very minor considering what was coming out from under Neil's car.

Had fun in my last run though after I let the tyres down to the recommended temperatures.  Big slide through the old turn one, real old-school 911 style.  On the gas and straightened up fine but for the first time I now understand!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

AikenDrum105

...... But engine already out in an hour.

Not having to undo the bellhousing mount bolts would tend to speed things a little I guess ;)

Video footage of the moment it popped is mandatory !
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

aggie57

Quote from: AikenDrum105 on August 06, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

Not having to undo the bellhousing mount bolts would tend to speed things a little I guess ;)

Video footage of the moment it popped is mandatory !

Visualise (from close proximity eyewitness viewpoint):

• Dark grey "shapes" exiting car to drivers right onto racing line
  • Neil madly trying to pull over to drivers left
  • Following drivers thinking "what the" accompanied by suitable expletive and avoidance attempt
  • Said grey shapes getting larger in view, bouncing in odd ways, and a large one suddenly getting VERY big
  • Closely followed by "thunk" and single very suitable expletive!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

Quote from: AikenDrum105 on August 06, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

New Alfa SOP for removing tailshaft from flywheel.

Rev motor to 7500rpm or more if possible consistently until couple separates.

Lift engine out.

alfagtv58

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 06, 2013, 04:22:26 PM
Rev motor to 7500rpm or more if possible consistently until couple separates.

7500rpm.....ha, you worried that Vin might read this thread  ;D ;)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti