Location of Gearbox Oil Fill Point - 86 Sprint

Started by stuka, April 09, 2013, 09:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuka

Anyone know the gearbox oil fill point on a 1986 alfasud sprint, I think it would be the same as the 33? Is it on the top or side of the gearbox and is it on the driver or passenger side, nut or hex? The gearbox is covered in oil and grease its difficult to make anything out. Thanks. Pat
Alfasud Sprint, GTV 3.2 V6

colcol

The fill point is at the side of the gearbox on the right hand side drivers side, about half way up the gearbox and between the back of the case and output shaft, mostly need a 17mm ring spanner, but sometimes can be inernal hex, requiring a cut down allen key, as a normal one is too big and fouls the body, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

stuka

Thanks Colin. Any recommendation on oil to use?
Alfasud Sprint, GTV 3.2 V6

colcol

Penrite fully synthetic 80-90W, good price, available from Repco off the shelf, works good in the cold, 1st thing in the morning or when hot and it can help the second gear crunching issue a bit, you will need a giant oil synringe or a little hand pump that attaches to the top of the bottle, to put the oil in the gearbox, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

scott.venables

Make sure the oil is compatible with both syncros and hypoid differentials. Probably not many oils will be because it's an unusual setup.  Penrite have a very good technical assistance line you can call if you're not sure which of their products are suitable.

Scott

colcol

Looked on the Penrite website, they recomend Penrite 80-90 mineral oil, which is ok for hypoid diffs, i use Penrite 80-90 Synthetic gearbox oil as it better in the cold, for easier shifting and its better in the hot weather, such as not crunching on a hot day, and like i said, on the shelf product at Repco, 20 years ago when this product was less well known, you could only order it in or had to go to Penrite to purchase it, Colin.

Southern75

I use Penrite full synthentic 75-90 .. it seems really good and no noticable wear at all .. use it in my 75 as well .. compatible with LSD as well .. bit pricey but i think it's worth it... some like the castrol syngear ... it's good too but even more expensive
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

colcol

I didn't think that the Penrite fully synthetic oil was all that expensive, but then i buy fully synthetic 10-60 racing oil for my 156 JTS, after that experience every thing seems cheaper, Colin.