33 indicator stick 'on the blink...' + air intake piping?

Started by mikeyd313, January 02, 2013, 05:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyd313

Hey again guys, you were so speedy to help last time i thought I'd through this one out to you as well.

The indicator stalk in my 33 is inexplicably and randomly going dead for periods (may be for a day or two there is no blinking on either left or right) which i assume has something to do with the contacts being worn down within the steering column. I'm wondering what my best plan of attack is; should i go directly to an auto electrician first and if so do you have any recommendations for the inner eastern suburbs (i'm in Balwyn).

The second thing is i've noticed the engine air intake pipe (main one running from bottom of bay to air box) is crushed / worn and could do with a replacement - any thoughts on whether an after market would be suitable and what to go for / i'm currently running a K&N panel air filter.

Thanks again!
Mike

colcol

You will need to go to an auto electrician with a special Alfa 33 steering wheel puller, and the knowledge on how to remove the steering column shrouds without damaging them, and then they will have to know the best place to source a new one or second hand  headlight blinker assembly or you could take it to an Alfa Romeo service provider who have done it all before and have the right tools and knowledge, and have done it so many times, they might do it while you wait, have a look at Marranello Pursang Motors in Brunswick, Monza Motors in Bayswater or Mauceri Motors in Clayton, the new ones are available on ebay for around $100???, or about $40????? second hand, when mine stuffed up i purchased a new one, the biggie will be the labour cost, the stalks are quite reliable on the 33... compared to a Sud.... i used to have a 'changeover' combination switch on standby, Alfa did learn a few lessons from the Sud, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Meanwhile on the airpipe front, the pipe from the exhaust???? to the air cleaner is i would say part of the emision gear, go to an industrial supply place and get some heatproof hose, as a normal rubber hose will melt, you might also like to try Repco as they might have one, you could use a 'sports' air cleaner, but make sure its not the 'oily' type, as the oil will get on the Air Flow Meter and clog up the heating element in it, the standard 'dry' air cleaner elements are thrown away when they are dirty, the 'wet' air cleaner elements are soaked in oil that catches all the dirt, but the oil will cause problems with the AFM, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Andrew Bose

Hi Mike.

I had the same problem on my 33 and it ended up being the relay, try that first (Do not use a cheap and nasty one) as it is an easy to change for a few dollars. Let me know if you need a switch as I now have a spare that works fine.

Mine started as an intermittent fault and then failed completely two or three months later so it was a bugger to find until it stopped altogether.

Andrew

colcol

My stalk started to get a bit loose on the blinker front, then the headlights failed, as it would be on a dark rainy night, so i bought a new indicator stalk [genuine]  from Milano Motors in Thomastown, put it in and the headlights worked again and the blinkers felt tight, that was about 15 years ago, Michael, if the blinker feels a bit loose and doesn't click properly then its most likely the stalk, if not as Andrew says try the blinker relay as its easier to get at, i have never changed mine as its never given trouble, don't even know where it is, under the drivers side dashboard?, just follow the clicking sound with the hazard lights on, Colin.

deemac66

Colin's advice would be well heeded. The "air intake piping" from the exhaust to the air cleaner is to help prevent cold stalling. As the intake air is drawn through the carburetor's venturi it also drops in pressure. The resulting loss in pressure also causes a drop in temperature. Any water suspended in the atmosphere can actually freeze inside the venturi. Frozen water inside the Carb's venturi generally blocks or restricts the idle and progression ports which causes the engine to run lean and stall. The air pipe is to draw in warm air off of the exhaust manifold. This is normally controlled by a flap which in turn is controlled by a "bi-metallic" spring which opens the flap when cold and closes it when warm (redirecting the inlet air to draw cooler - more dense air when warm). It is one of the problems injection helps to prevent.

Re: sticking indicators - try cleaning the battery terminals and the ground contacts (on the left hand side of the battery bolted to the firewall). Indicators which stay on are normally either the indicator canister (otherwise known as ((incorrectly)) relay) or a bad earth, that is of course if the switch gear has not broken.
Now:
White '84 GTV6
Red '03 156 JTS Selespeed
Black '02 156 JTS Selespeed
2 X White '89 33 1.7 IE
Red '86 33

Then:
Blue '00 156 t/spark Selespeed
Black '03 147

colcol

Regarding the air hoses for the air cleaner, on my 33 TI there are 2 that run from the back of the air cleaner down to the back of the exhaust, they are for the emmisions, they draw in air from the [dirty] exhaust and reburn the air for cleaner emmisions, its whats known as eating your own 5h1t, at the front of the air cleaner on the left hand side, there is a fresh air hose that runs from the left hand side of the grille to a large valve, and there is another hot air hose that runs to the bottom of the left hand exhaust back to the valve, when it is cold the air is preheated and drawn into the valve, which directs the air to the aircleaner to stop icing, when the car warms up, the valve opens and directs cold air to the air cleaner, except if you have air conditioning, then the valve is sometimes removed, as it gets in the way of the compressor, and the valves only last about 2 years, then the gas leaks out of the thermostat valve and they stop working, [it must have been made by the thermostat company that makes thermostats for 147's and 156's], i haven't had one in my car for about 15 years and it has never iced up, as the engine is under the intake and it would heat it up anyway, as heat rises, some cars like 74 Volkswagon Passat's and early BMC Mini's were shocking for carby icing, but in my experience Alfa never had this problem.......but in cold parts of Europe, thats another story, Colin.