2006 2.2 Brera options

Started by chris.h, December 24, 2012, 08:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.h

Hi All,

I'm looking to by my first Alfa, but want to make sure about what the different options were between the 2.2 and 3.2 Brera.

Can anyone tell me if the blue and me system was available on a 2006 2.2, I've spoken to a dealer in NSW who has one for sale and he says that it has bluetooth connectivity. 

I've looked online and all i can find is that the 3.2 has it but not the 2.2 and it doesn't show up in any of the options lists for the 2.2 that i've found
not sure what to believe !

Also i see that the electric front seats were an option on the 2.2 as well, has anyone had any problems with these at all ? is it worth looking for one with them or not worry about them ?

Any other help would be very appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

colcol

We have heard that the General Motors sourced engines are prone to the timing chains stretching and the timing going out and then loosing performance and running a bit sluggish, leading to the timing getting out so far, it trips the engine managment system going into limp mode, then you have to have the timing chain replaced, and if you hit a decent pothole or kerb, then the subframe moves on the mounts and the subframe has to be loosened off and reset with an Alfa Romeo jig at a dealer, just going to Bob Jane is not good enough, as the subframe will be pointing in one direction and the wheels in the other direction, it has to be done properly with the jig, and any oil change requires about 20 fasteners to be removed to get at the sump drain plug, no biggie, but it adds to the service bill, but Alfa are not Robinson Caruso here, as all the newer cars have under body trays for better aero, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

ANG156

Quote from: chris.h on December 24, 2012, 08:30:15 PM

Can anyone tell me if the blue and me system was available on a 2006 2.2, I've spoken to a dealer in NSW who has one for sale and he says that it has bluetooth connectivity. 

Also i see that the electric front seats were an option on the 2.2 as well, has anyone had any problems with these at all ? is it worth looking for one with them or not worry about them ?

I always thought bluetooth was available on the Brera 2.2 as standard but I have seen a 2006 model fitted with the adaptor. I believe the later models may have had these as standard.

With regards to the electric seats, i don't believe paying the extra premium is worth it. If you're going to be the only driver then no need to have a memory function. My folks have a 159 with electric seats and we've owned the car from new for three years without any issues but then again the seat is always in the same position. Whenever i drive it i only do minor adjustments such as height and forward/backwards. However, considering the number of adjustments that can be made i actually prefer manually operated seats as I believe it is easier to get your position. The slightest touch on electric seats will move it which is kind of annoying especially when the 159/brera has a seat base tilt function, I'm always making minor adjustments to get it perfect.

Brera's are nice cars. I've been to look at a few and one thing that i find is that the aluminium trim inside the car dents and scratches easily which can be a let down and a cost to get right. I also drove one recently that had Kumho tyres fitted on the front that gave off a terrible road noise inside the cabin something i never experienced in a 159 but then its only been on Pirelli's. A view backed up by the seller that the Pirelli's had better ride comfort. All round they are a lot of car for the money and definately a head turner for the price.

Joe Falcone

hi Chris

i own a 2.2 07 brera and yes blue and me came as standard although the electric seats didnt.
Not an option i chose so cant say much except that the normal lever style adjustments work fine.
The timing chains always get mentioned all i can say that if it does need changing it wouldnt be a
big job as its easy to get to, so ive been told, therefore you wouldnt be changing one as often as a
rubber belt anyway so for mine its not a big issue, dont get spooked by the negative feedback, just
attend to it asap if it does play up. Hope i helped

cheers Joe
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Paul Gulliver

QuoteThe timing chains always get mentioned

Just changed the timimng chain on my 2006 159 2.2. A little bit more expensive than the previous 156 belt , but not much. Also nice to know you probably get 2 -3 times the life out of the chain compared to the belt. Most reports i've read are of the chain stretching not breaking, big difference in the bill if that has happened.   
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

colcol

When the chain was replaced, did the performance go from sluggish to good again, Gully?, the Commodore's have this problem with timing chains on the V-6's, so its not an Alfa thing, have a look at TOP GEAR, when they compared the 2.2 Brera, Mazda RX8 and the Audi TT, they come to the conclusion that the Brera wasn't the best car, but its the one they prefer!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Paul Gulliver

Quotedid the performance go from sluggish to good again, Gully?

Certainly did

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

chris.h

Hi, thanks for all the replies and info.

I've been in touch with the dealer and he told me there isn't a USB socket in the glove compartment, does this mean there is no Bluetooth connectivity at all, or just no blue and me or blue car.
All I really want to do is connect my iPhone for calls, I'm using a blueant at the moment which is fine but I wanted to get something inbuilt this time, not too bothered about playing music really.
Thanks for info on the timing chains and subframe Colin, if the subframe has moved is it something you can tell just by driving the car or does it need to be put on a jig to find out ?
Cheers
Chris

colcol

We went to Zagame in Melbourne for a technical night, and they said they have to looosen of the subframe bolts, put the jig on, align it and tighten up the bolts, i suppose you can tell it needs doing if the wheel alignment centre can't adjust it, or the tyres start to scrub out, take it to an Alfa Romeo service provider for a pre buy check and ask them if the subframe is ok or out of alignment, if it is bad enough it would pull to one side and wander a lot, Colin.