Autodelta transaxle

Started by alfa duk, February 10, 2012, 09:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

What is the difference between an autodelta transaxle and a standard unit? Was the lsd developed in the early 80s but not put into production cars till 86/87? Doug
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Darryl

Yes, it is the gearset that is special. Straight cut dog box.... The LSD centre is relatively common and was around well before 80s - same unit used in 105 LSDs iiuc...
Richard Anderson had his alfetta GTV with one of these (I think he actually has 3!) and autodelta twinspark engine at last qld club night and at FOIM last year... Pics from FOIM of car and engine - didn't take pics of box (which is ordinary casing anyway....)

I remember being able to hear the straight cut box whine over the other noises from Richards old sedan (also with one of these gearboxes in it) as it approached when spectating rallys years ago....

GTV6SA

The Autodelta gearbox is not a dogbox but has synchro,s  and is straight cut fitted with LSD and some with an internal oil pump drive

pete barr

The Autodelta transaxle I ran in my Alfetta GTV Group C had a close ratio gearset with a1:1 fifth gear, 4.6:1 final drive and needle roller bearings.

Darryl

Quote from: GTV6SA on February 11, 2012, 05:32:54 AM
The Autodelta gearbox is not a dogbox but has synchro,s  and is straight cut fitted with LSD and some with an internal oil pump drive

Is there some difference (compared to std gearset) in the engagement mechanism then? I thought Richard said something about the Autodelta gear dogs not being very strong and some repro gearsets were better - which is what made me think it was a dog box.

GTV6SA

Is that a re-pro narrow angle big valve head on Richards Car, seems to have the wrong nuts holdong down the cam cover, been running my original Autodelta box for over 15 years, and never broke a gear, only broke a crownwheel due to old aage and fatigue

Darryl

BradGTV

where are repro heads avaliable?
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

alfa duk

Seems i am responding to my own post but fyi, i was at the group s presentation last night and ran into Mick Mitchell from Corse automotive and asked him what the difference was. He claimed only the gearsets were different-straight cut with syncros from Collotti. I asked about oil pumps, bearings and reinforced clutch housings, he just shook his head. For those that dont know Mick, he was part of Colin Bonds team in the gtv6/75 period. Doug
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Darryl

I'm just passing on info here - all I know about the head is what I could see, and what Richard said about it - that it was (very) expensive and from Italy (and Vin Sharp did the porting on it to match an original head). The overall engine must be worth just a few $ - monoliner and all the good internal bits....

Paul Newby

Quote from: Darryl on February 10, 2012, 11:53:30 PM
didn't take pics of box (which is ordinary casing anyway....)

Having seen underneath Bill Magoffin's Group C Alfetta GTAM I can confirm that the casing is not the same as the normal Alfetta box. It may well be set up so as to be able to run an oil pump, though I don't think this was ever done on the race cars here. It may have been a different story on the Autodelta rally cars.

I believe these gearboxes (including internals) were all made in house by Autodelta and not by Colotti, as is often thought. I think that Colotti can sell you a C/R gearset for Alfettas, and I think that Nigel Bolling had a few for sale about 15 years or so ago. George Tillett has this in his race Alfetta GT, 3.7 final drive with a 1:1 fifth gear, if I recall correctly. They were horrendously expensive back then and probably more so now... :)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

alffetta

I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would mention that Close ration straight cut gear kits are available from england (I know its not that close!) I had to produce gears for my ex-works Grp2 Alfetta and Grp A GTV6 so they are pretty much off the shelf as synchro kits and later in the year a dog kit.
Ratio's start at 2.57 first to 1:1 fifth .....runs on a 75 twinspark box with needle rollers throughout. For the 2.0 race engine I run a 4.1 diff and for the 2.5 v6 I use the 3.9.
I also have strengthened clutch housings, Uj'd props, torsion bar adjusters and all the suspension parts to produce a period race car.

alfa duk

Those straight cut gears, do they create a dog box or do the still run syncros. Who has spent the coin and was it worth it.
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

hammer

Alffetta,

Where do you get them and what sort of money are we talking? I have a great transaxle already but am always keen to look at the grass on the other side.

Cheers,

Brent