Can you recommend someone to fix GTV6 Air Con

Started by AgeG, October 04, 2011, 01:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgeG

I have had two failed attempts to have someone fix the Air Con in my 116 GTV6. Radiator place in Fairfield Vic completely made a mess of my system. Last year I took my car to Maranello Pursang for a service, and they arranged for someone to come and test and regas system. They said there was no leaks and then regassed it.

Well 2 months later the air con was warm again. I took it back and and they tested it again and there was a leak, of course there was a leak thats why the regas the year before didnt work!

I am getting very frustrated and simply want someone who will fix it properly first time. If you have had a good experience with someone please let me know.
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse

colcol

You need to get a tracer dye put thru the system with the gas so the leak can be pinpointed, with a car that old you will most likely find that the compressor seal is leaking at the front and needs to be renewed, it needs to be charged and leak tested with an electronic leak detector, also the GTV-6 original refrigerant gas was R12, which is now illegal, which is 'thick', and doesn't leak as much as the new 'thin' gasses like R134, if no leaks are found then you could have moisture in the system which is freezing at the TX valve, stopping any gas coming thru, if you turn off the aircon for 10 minutes, and turn it on again and it blows cold air for a few minutes, then you have moisture in the system, if it still blows hot air then you are out of gas, if you have moisture in the system then it will have to be vacumed down to -30lbs to boil any moisture out, and replace the receivor drier,[the black can at the front], as it is full of moisture, i hope this is some help to you, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]